Current:Home > StocksDiddy's key to New York City rescinded after Cassie Ventura assault video -WealthRoots Academy
Diddy's key to New York City rescinded after Cassie Ventura assault video
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 20:09:06
Sean "Diddy" Combs' key to New York City has officially been rescinded less than a year after it was issued.
New York City Mayor Eric Adams' office confirmed to USA TODAY on Sunday that the key bestowed upon Diddy in September has been revoked after surveillance footage surfaced that shows the embattled rapper assaulting his then-girlfriend, Cassie Ventura, in a hotel hallway in 2016.
In a letter sent to Diddy dated June 4, Adams said he was "deeply disturbed" by the video footage and asked him to immediately return the key.
"I strongly condemn these actions and stand in solidarity with all survivors of domestic and gender-based violence," the mayor wrote in the letter, which was shared with USA TODAY. "Our city has worked tirelessly to make sure survivors are heard and seen by our administration."
The key to New York City is described as "a beloved symbol of civic recognition and gratitude reserved for individuals whose service to the public and the common good rises to the highest level of achievement."
Need a break? Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
But Adams said a committee recommended revoking the key from the music mogul, who since last year has faced multiple allegations of sexual assault.
According to Fabien Levy, deputy mayor for communications, Adams' office received the key back on June 10.
Sean 'Diddy' Combs' legal issues:A timeline of allegations and the rapper's life, career
Diddy, 54, was honored with the key to New York City in a ceremony held in Times Square on Sept. 15. "I'm a New York boy, and I just got to key to the city, and everything is just a little surreal right now," he said at the time.
While introducing Diddy, Adams said that "the bad boy of entertainment is getting the key to the city from the bad boy of politics."
Two months later, Ventura sued Diddy for alleged rape, abuse and sex trafficking, and the Bad Boy Records founder subsequently faced additional sexual abuse allegations. Ventura's suit was settled one day after being filed. Diddy's homes were later raided by law enforcement.
In May, surveillance video obtained by CNN showed Diddy assaulting Ventura at a hotel. After the footage's release, Diddy issued an apology without mentioning Ventura's name.
"My behavior on that video is inexcusable," he said. "I take full responsibility for my actions ... I'm disgusted. I was disgusted then when I did it, (and) I'm disgusted now."
Earlier this month, Howard University rescinded an honorary degree that was presented to Diddy in 2014.
“Mr. Combs' behavior as captured in a recently released video is so fundamentally incompatible with Howard University's core values and beliefs that he is deemed no longer worthy to hold the institution’s highest honor," a Howard spokesperson said. "The university is unwavering in its opposition to all acts of interpersonal violence."
Contributing: Minnah Arshad and Anika Reed, USA TODAY
veryGood! (5292)
Related
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Reneé Rapp Recalls “Jarring” Incident With Man at Drew Barrymore Event
- White supremacist signs posted outside Black-owned businesses on Martha's Vineyard
- Tropical Storm Lee forecast to strengthen into hurricane as it churns in Atlantic toward Caribbean
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Are there toxins in your sunscreen? A dermatologist explains what you need to know.
- Tom Brady will toss passes for Delta Air Lines. The retired quarterback will be a strategic adviser
- BTS star Jung Kook added to Global Citizen lineup in New York: 'The festival drives action'
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- Duke QB Riley Leonard wanted homework extension after win over Clemson, professor responds
Ranking
- 'Most Whopper
- NFL power rankings: Which teams are looking good entering Week 1?
- Education secretary praises Springfield after-school program during visit
- A popular climbing area in Yosemite National Park has been closed due to a crack in a granite cliff
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Green groups sue, say farmers are drying up Great Salt Lake
- Another person dies after being found unresponsive at Fulton County Jail in Atlanta
- West Virginia governor wants lawmakers to revisit law allowing high school athletic transfers
Recommendation
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Nepo baby. Crony capitalism. Blursday. Over 500 new words added to Dictionary.com.
Elon Musk threatens to sue Anti-Defamation League over antisemitism claims
Massachusetts pizza place sells out after Dave Portnoy calls it the worst in the nation
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
Prosecutors ask a judge to revoke bond of mother of Virginia boy who shot his first-grade teacher
Taco Bell free Taco Tuesday deal and $5 off DoorDash delivery Sept. 12
Lidcoin: Bitcoin Is the Best Currency of the Future and Bear Markets Are the Perfect Time to Get Low-Priced Chips