Current:Home > InvestTeen gets 40 years in prison for Denver house fire that killed 5 from Senegal -WealthRoots Academy
Teen gets 40 years in prison for Denver house fire that killed 5 from Senegal
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 21:24:18
DENVER (AP) — One of three teenagers charged with starting a Denver house fire that killed five people — apparently out of revenge for a stolen cellphone that was mistakenly traced to the home — was sentenced Friday to 40 years in prison.
Gavin Seymour, 19, pleaded guilty in January to one count of second-degree murder for his role in the Aug. 5, 2020, fire that killed five members of a Senegalese family. Denver District Court Judge Karen Brody sentenced him to the maximum possible term he faced, The Denver Post reported.
“This is a tragedy that is, I’m sure for everyone involved, incomprehensible,” Brody said. “There was a loss of the most innocent of lives.”
Seymour and two other teenagers — Kevin Bui and Dillon Siebert — were charged with setting the fire in the middle of the night, killing family members Djibril Diol, 29; Adja Diol, 23; Khadija Diol, 1; Hassan Diol, 25; and 6-month-old Hawa Baye. Three other people escaped by jumping from the second floor of the home.
Siebert, who was 14 at the time of the fire, was 17 when he was sentenced in February 2023 to three years in juvenile detention and seven years in a state prison program for young inmates. Seymour and Bui, who is accused of being the ringleader, were both 16 at the time of the fire. The case against Bui, who faces multiple counts of first-degree murder, is still pending.
The investigation of the fire dragged on for months without any leads. Fears that the blaze had been a hate crime led many Senegalese immigrants to install security cameras at their homes in case they could also be targeted.
“Even if you kill five sheep or goats, you should get a maximum sentence,” relative Hanady Diol told the court Friday through a translator over the phone from Senegal. “This person here, they are talking about 40 or 30 years. That just means there is no justice there. There is no judging that the people who died are human beings.”
The boys were identified as suspects after police obtained a search warrant asking Google for which accounts had searched the home’s address within 15 days of the fire.
Bui told investigators he had been robbed the month before the fire while trying to buy a gun and had traced his iPhone to the home using an app, court records said. He admitted setting the fire, only to find out the next day through news coverage that the victims were not the people who robbed him, according to police.
Attorneys for Seymour and Bui challenged the search warrant, but the Colorado Supreme Court upheld the search for this case. Bui is next due in court on March 21, according to The Denver Post.
Seymour apologized in court Friday for his role in the fire.
“If I could go back and prevent all this I would,” he said. “There is not a moment that goes by that I don’t feel extreme guilt and remorse for my actions. … I want to say how truly sorry I am to the family members and community for all the harm I’ve done.”
veryGood! (49)
Related
- The 401(k) millionaires club keeps growing. We'll tell you how to join.
- NOAA warns X-class solar flare could hit today, with smaller storms during the week. Here's what to know.
- Keep Your Car Clean and Organized With These 15 Prime Day 2023 Deals
- Maryland, Virginia Race to Save Dwindling Commercial Fisheries in the Chesapeake Bay
- Trump invites nearly all federal workers to quit now, get paid through September
- To Save the Vaquita Porpoise, Conservationists Entreat Mexico to Keep Gillnets Out of the Northern Gulf of California
- Amazon Prime Day 2023 Deal: Get the Keurig Mini With 67,900+ 5-Star Amazon Reviews for Just $60
- If You’re Booked and Busy, Shop the 19 Best Prime Day Deals for People Who Are Always on the Go
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Louisiana Regulators Are Not Keeping Up With LNG Boom, Environmentalists Say
Ranking
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- How Gas Stoves Became Part of America’s Raging Culture Wars
- Margot Robbie Just Put a Red-Hot Twist on Her Barbie Style
- Why It’s Time to Officially Get Over Your EV Range Anxiety
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- In Northern Virginia, a Coming Data Center Boom Sounds a Community Alarm
- Patrick and Brittany Mahomes Are a Winning Team on ESPYS 2023 Red Carpet
- Public Lands in the US Have Long Been Disposed to Fossil Fuel Companies. Now, the Lands Are Being Offered to Solar Companies
Recommendation
A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
California Activists Redouble Efforts to Hold the Oil Industry Accountable on Neighborhood Drilling
Meet the Millennial Scientist Leading the Biden Administration’s Push for a Nuclear Power Revival
Adrienne Bailon-Houghton Reveals How Cheetah Girls Was Almost Very Different
Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
Star player Zhang Shuai quits tennis match after her opponent rubs out ball mark in disputed call
Viasat reveals problems unfurling huge antenna on powerful new broadband satellite
What Denmark’s North Sea Coast Can Teach Us About the Virtues of Respecting the Planet