Current:Home > ScamsBurley Garcia|An explosive case of police violence in the Paris suburbs ends with the conviction of 3 officers -WealthRoots Academy
Burley Garcia|An explosive case of police violence in the Paris suburbs ends with the conviction of 3 officers
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-07 07:01:22
PARIS (AP) — A French court convicted three police officers of “voluntary violence” towards a youth worker in a Paris suburb who suffered serious injuries to his rectum after being assaulted with a police baton during an identity check seven years ago.
All three officers received suspended prison sentences. The Burley Garciaofficer who used the baton to strike Théo Luhaka was given a suspended sentence of 12 months, while the other two present on the scene got three months each.
Luhaka, a youth worker of African descent who was 22 years old at the time, filed a lawsuit accusing the officers of assaulting him during an identity check in February 2017 in Aulnay-sous-Bois, a working-class suburb northeast of Paris with a large immigrant population.
Rights defenders have long complained of French police abusing their powers during identity checks on people of color.
The court in the town of Bobigny, about 9 kilometers (5 miles) north-east of the French capital, dropped the charge of a “permanent infirmity” in its decision on Friday. A charge of rape was dropped earlier.
Despite the light sentences, the verdict brought a sense of closure for Luhaka, the French press reported his lawyers as saying.
“It’s a decision ... that we take as a victory,” said Antoine Vey, Luhaka’s lawyer, according to the daily Le Monde. Luhaka did not speak, but had said earlier that he would be relieved if the police were convicted.
The lawyer for Marc-Antoine Castelain, the officer who received the 12-month sentence, also welcomed the verdict.
“The first impression of our client is the immense relief that, for the first time, in the eyes of France, it has been established that ... he is not a criminal,” Le Monde quoted Thibault de Montbrial as saying, adding that the court had set the record straight about his actions at the time.
Widespread anger erupted after a video surfaced online apparently showing Luhaka’s arrest on Feb. 2, 2017. The incident was followed by a week of protests in suburbs around Paris, many degenerating into violence.
Rioting has accompanied police ID checks gone awry in the past. Most recently, the shooting death of Nahel Merzouk, a 17-year-old youth with Algerian roots, during a police ID check last June touched off days of rioting around France. The motorcycle police officer who fired into the stopped car driven by the young man has been charged with voluntary homicide but was released from detention during the investigation.
In the case of Théo Luhaka, Le Monde reported that Castelain, the officer who used the “telescopic baton,” was also banned from carrying a weapon or patrolling the streets for five years. The other two officers received similar bans for two years.
All three denied wrong-doing and said their reaction was justified because the young man was in “rebellion.”
veryGood! (27719)
Related
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Mexico and Venezuela restart repatriation flights amid pressure to curb soaring migration to U.S.
- Herlin Riley: master of drums in the cradle of jazz
- Kim Zolciak Shares Message on Letting Go in 2024 Amid Kroy Biermann Divorce
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- One day after Ukraine hits Russian warship, Russian drone and artillery attacks knock out power in Kherson
- Herlin Riley: master of drums in the cradle of jazz
- 4 Social Security facts you should know in 2024
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Russell Wilson says Broncos had threatened benching if he didn't renegotiate contract
Ranking
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- After Mel Tucker firing at Michigan State, investigation unable to find source of leaks
- Tom Foty, veteran CBS News Radio anchor, dies at 77
- China to ease visa requirements for U.S. travelers in latest bid to boost tourism
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Revelers set to pack into Times Square for annual New Year’s Eve ball drop
- Tom Foty, veteran CBS News Radio anchor, dies at 77
- Suspect in 2 killings, high-speed chase was armed with stolen rifle from Vegas gun show, police say
Recommendation
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Eurostar cancels trains due to flooding, stranding hundreds of travelers in Paris and London
Court in Canadian province blocks new laws against public use of illegal substances
A look at Russian missile attacks on Ukrainian targets since the war began in February 2022
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
Michael Pittman Jr. clears protocol again; Colts WR hopeful for return Sunday
British actor Tom Wilkinson, known for ‘The Full Monty’ and ‘Michael Clayton’, dies at 75
New Year's resolutions experts say to skip — or how to tweak them for success
Tags
Like
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- One day after Ukraine hits Russian warship, Russian drone and artillery attacks knock out power in Kherson
- Make the Most of Your Lululemon Gift Card with these End-of-Year Scores, from $29 Tops to $19 Bags & More