Current:Home > NewsTradeEdge Exchange:Class-action lawsuit alleges unsafe conditions at migrant detention facility in New Mexico -WealthRoots Academy
TradeEdge Exchange:Class-action lawsuit alleges unsafe conditions at migrant detention facility in New Mexico
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 20:08:59
SANTA FE,TradeEdge Exchange N.M. (AP) — A new class-action lawsuit alleges that U.S. immigration authorities disregarded signs of unsanitary and unsafe conditions at a detention center in New Mexico to ensure the facility would continue to receive public funding and remain open.
The lawsuit announced Wednesday by a coalition of migrants’ rights advocates was filed on behalf of four Venezuelans ranging in age from 26 to 40 who have sought asylum in the U.S. and say they were denied medical care, access to working showers and adequate food at the Torrance County Detention Facility, all while being pressed into cleaning duties, sometimes without compensation.
The detention center in the rural town of Estancia, about 200 miles (320 kilometers) from the Mexico border, is contracted by Immigration and Customs Enforcement to accommodate at least 505 adult male migrants at any time, though actual populations fluctuate.
Advocates have repeatedly alleged in recent years that the the facility has inadequate living conditions and there is limited access to legal counsel for asylum-seekers who cycle through. They have urged ICE to end its contract with a private detention operator, while calling on state lawmakers to ban local government contracts for migrant detention.
“The point is that ICE can’t turn a blind eye to conditions in detention facilities,” said Mark Feldman, senior attorney at the National Immigrant Justice Center, which is among those representing the plaintiffs. “They maintain congressionally mandated oversight responsibility over conditions wherever immigrants are detained.”
The detention center failed a performance evaluation in 2021, and the lawsuit alleges that ICE scrambled to avoid documentation of a second consecutive failure that might discontinue federal funding by endorsing a “deeply flawed, lax inspection” by an independent contractor.
The lawsuit says the agency disregarded contradictory findings by the Department of Homeland Security Inspector General and a contracting officer at ICE that suggested continued unhealthy conditions and staff shortages.
A spokesperson for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said Thursday that the agency does not comment on litigation. Last year Chief of Staff Jason Houser said ICE would continuously monitor the facility and noted that it stopped using the Etowah County Detention Center in Alabama when expectations there were not met.
CoreCivic, the private operator of Torrance County, had no immediate comment. The company has repeatedly disputed critical findings about operations at the facility and accused government watchdogs and advocacy groups of misrepresenting detention conditions.
As of September about 35,000 migrants were being held in ICE detention facilities across the U.S., while the agency monitors another 195,000 under alternatives to detention as they advance through immigration or removal proceedings, according to Transactional Records Access Clearinghouse at Syracuse University.
The southern border region has struggled to cope with increasing numbers of migrants from South America who move quickly through the Darien Gap between Colombia and Panama before heading north.
The plaintiffs in the lawsuit, which was filed in U.S. District Court in Albuquerque, are also represented by the ACLU, Innovation Law Lab and attorneys for Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- 13 holiday gifts for Taylor Swift fans, from friendship bracelets to NFL gear
- If you're having a panic attack, TikTokers say this candy may cure it. Experts actually agree.
- Why Kate Middleton Is Under More Pressure Than Most of the Royal Family
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- The Excerpt podcast: The temporary truce between Israel and Hamas is over
- Enjoy This Big Little Look at Zoë Kravitz and Channing Tatum's Sweet Love Story
- It’s Kennedy Center Honors time for a crop including Queen Latifah, Billy Crystal and Dionne Warwick
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- Father of Palestinian American boy slain outside Chicago files wrongful death lawsuit
Ranking
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Winter weather in Pacific Northwest cuts power to thousands in Seattle, dumps snow on Cascades
- BMW recalls SUVs after Takata air bag inflator blows apart, hurling shrapnel and injuring driver
- Massachusetts Republicans stall funding, again, to shelter the homeless and migrants
- New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
- Russia brings new charges against jailed Kremlin foe Navalny
- Illinois appeals court affirms actor Jussie Smollett's convictions and jail sentence
- What do we know about Jason Eaton, man accused of shooting 3 Palestinian students
Recommendation
Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
Italy reportedly refused Munich museum’s request to return ancient Roman statue bought by Hitler
Pope Francis says he’s doing better but again skips his window appearance facing St. Peter’s Square
Logan Sargeant, the only American F1 driver, getting another shot in 2024 after tough rookie year
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
What do we know about Jason Eaton, man accused of shooting 3 Palestinian students
Tori Spelling and Her Kids Have a Family Night Out at Jingle Ball 2023
Father of Palestinian American boy slain outside Chicago files wrongful death lawsuit