Current:Home > StocksChainkeen Exchange-Prosecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009 -WealthRoots Academy
Chainkeen Exchange-Prosecutors and victim’s family call for the release of a Minnesota man convicted of murder in 2009
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 02:48:27
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The Chainkeen Exchangelocal prosecutor and family of the victim are calling for a man’s murder conviction to be vacated after a review by the Minnesota attorney general concluded he’s innocent.
Jurors in 2009 found Edgar Barrientos-Quintana guilty of killing 18-year-old Jesse Mickelson in a drive-by shooting. He was sentenced to life in prison without parole.
But after a three-year investigation, Attorney General Keith Ellison’s Conviction Review Unit in August released a damning report of Minneapolis police’s original investigation that also cited evidence supporting Barrientos-Quintana’s alibi.
Barrientos-Quintana last month asked a judge to vacate his conviction based on the report. On Monday, the Hennepin County attorney and Mickelson’s sisters said they support his release.
“It’s been 16 years, but I would rather have no conviction than the wrong conviction,” Mickelson’s sister Tina Rosebear said at a news conference.
Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said she will dismiss charges against Barrientos-Quintana if the judge vacates his conviction.
Security footage placed Barrientos-Quintana at a grocery story shortly before the shooting, and the attorney general’s office pointed to phone records not presented at trial that placed him at his girlfriend’s suburban apartment shortly after the shooting. The Conviction Review Unit determined that he could not have traveled to and from the crime scene in that time.
The reviewers also cast blame on police, who showed an old photo of Barrientos-Quintana with a shaved head to eyewitnesses who had described the suspect as being bald. Security footage showed Barrientos-Quintana had short, dark hair at the time of the shooting.
“Unfortunately, after Mr. Barrientos became a suspect in the shooting, the state’s investigation failed to seriously consider and rule out plausible alternative suspects,” a news release from the attorney general said.
Minneapolis police do not support Barrientos-Quintana’s bid for freedom.
Chief Brian O’Hara in a statement said he’s worried Barrientos-Quintana “will be set free based only on a reinterpretation of old evidence rather than the existence of any new facts.”
“I am confident our investigators acted with the utmost integrity and professionalism and followed all the evidence available to them using investigative best practices,” O’Hara said.
veryGood! (5989)
Related
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Inter Miami vs. Real Salt Lake highlights: Messi doesn't score, but still shows off in win
- James Biden, Joe Biden's brother, tells lawmakers the president had no involvement in family's business dealings
- Leaked document trove shows a Chinese hacking scheme focused on harassing dissidents
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- Restaurant worker is rewarded for hard work with a surprise visit from her Marine daughter
- Lawyers for Malcolm X family say new statements implicate NYPD, feds in assassination
- Love Is Blind’s Jess Vestal Explains What You Didn’t See About That EpiPen Comment
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- The Daily Money: How the Capital One-Discover deal could impact consumers
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- Haley says embryos 'are babies,' siding with Alabama court ruling that could limit IVF
- Americans reporting nationwide cellular outages from AT&T, Cricket Wireless and other providers
- Kim Kardashian’s New SKIMS Swimwear Collection Is Poolside Perfection With Many Coverage Options
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- Robert Port, who led AP investigative team that won Pulitzer for No Gun Ri massacre probe, dies
- Rapper Kodak Black freed from jail after drug possession charge was dismissed
- Amid fentanyl crisis, Oregon lawmakers propose more funding for opioid addiction medication in jails
Recommendation
How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
Wait for Taylor Swift merch in Australia longer than the actual Eras Tour concert
The Excerpt: Crime stats show improvement. Why do so many believe it's never been worse?
Federal judge affirms MyPillow’s Mike Lindell must pay $5M in election data dispute
How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
Dozens of Idaho obstetricians have stopped practicing there since abortions were banned, study says
The Excerpt: Crime stats show improvement. Why do so many believe it's never been worse?
After his wife died, he joined nurses to push for new staffing rules in hospitals.