Current:Home > NewsBoeing finds new problems with Starliner space capsule and delays first crewed launch -WealthRoots Academy
Boeing finds new problems with Starliner space capsule and delays first crewed launch
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-06 16:26:13
Boeing has indefinitely delayed next month's launch of its Starliner capsule — which would have carried the first humans — after engineers found several worrying problems.
These included the use of "hundreds of feet" of adhesive tape that's flammable and defects with the spacecraft's parachute system. Boeing made the announcement late Thursday at a hastily-called news conference with NASA officials.
It's the latest setback for Boeing which has been plagued by years of development delays and has yet to fly its first crewed Starliner mission.
After the space shuttle was retired in 2011, NASA needed a way to ferry people to and from the International Space Station. In 2014, NASA awarded Boeing more than $4 billion under its Commercial Crew program to build the capsule. At the same time, NASA also selected SpaceX to build and design a competing system which has already sent humans into space ten times (including seven missions for NASA).
Starliner has flown twice. The first mission, in 2019, failed to reach the I.S.S. after its on-board clock malfunctioned. The second test flight, in 2022, did dock with the I.S.S. and was deemed a success. Boeing had been working towards a July 21 launch to send two NASA astronauts to the I.S.S. This mission has been delayed several times and this latest setback is concerning.
Just weeks before the launch attempt, Boeing managers determined that adhesive tape used to wrap and protect hundreds of yards of wiring inside the capsule could be flammable under certain circumstances.
In addition, the lines connecting the capsule to its trio of parachutes were not as strong as Boeing believed. During landing, it's possible that some of the lines could have snapped - potentially endangering the crew. Starliner is designed to land with just two parachutes. But if one parachute failed - the others could have too.
For all of these reasons, Boeing vice president and Starliner program manager Mark Nappi told reporters the company was standing down, "Safety is always our top priority and that drives this decision." A future test flight date is unknown.
Nappi says they'll take the next several weeks to investigate the design issues and come up with potential solutions. For now, Boeing says it's fully committed to the program and has no plans to stop developing Starliner despite being years behind schedule.
veryGood! (621)
Related
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Can adults get hand, foot and mouth disease? Yes, but here's why kids are more impacted.
- Man who allegedly punched NYC woman in the face arrested after viral TikTok video
- Ymcoin: Interpretation of the impact of the Bitcoin halving event on the market
- DeepSeek: Did a little known Chinese startup cause a 'Sputnik moment' for AI?
- The Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse is impacting cruises and could cause up to $10 million in losses for Carnival
- Takeaways: AP investigation reveals Black people bear disproportionate impact of police force
- Warriors' Draymond Green says he 'deserved' early ejection; Steph Curry responds
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- ASTRO COIN: Leading a new era of digital currency trading
Ranking
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- An inflation gauge closely tracked by the Federal Reserve shows price pressures easing gradually
- Can adults get hand, foot and mouth disease? Yes, but here's why kids are more impacted.
- 'Cowboy Carter' includes a 'Jolene' cover, but Beyoncé brings added ferocity to the lryics
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- This controversial Titanic prop has spawned decades of debate — and it just sold for $700,000
- A growing number of Americans end up in Russian jails. The prospects for their release are unclear
- Oklahoma judge rules death row inmate not competent to be executed
Recommendation
Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
'Is it Cake?' Season 3: Cast, host, judges, release date, where to watch new episodes
A decade after deaths of 2 Boston firefighters, senators pass bill to toughen oversight
Louis Gossett Jr., 1st Black man to win supporting actor Oscar, dies at 87
Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
Man who threatened to detonate bomb during California bank robbery killed by police
Ymcoin: Interpretation of the impact of the Bitcoin halving event on the market
A woman went to the ER thinking she had a bone stuck in her throat. It was a nail piercing her artery.