Current:Home > InvestNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -WealthRoots Academy
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-05 15:40:37
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Garry Conille, Haiti's new prime minister, hospitalized
- Boy is rescued after sand collapses on him at Michigan dune
- Man pleads not-guilty in Sioux Falls’ first triple homicide in a half-century
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- NPS mourns loss of ranger who died on-duty after falling at Bryce Canyon in Utah
- National bail fund exits Georgia over new law that expands cash bail and limits groups that help
- MLB power rankings: Yankees, Dodgers deliver October-worthy appetizer
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Police update number of people injured in Madison rooftop shooting to 12
Ranking
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- Reverend James Lawson, civil rights activist and nonviolent protest pioneer dies at 95
- $1,000 in this Vanguard ETF incurs a mere $1 annual fee, and it has beaten the S&P in 2024
- Microsoft highlights slate of games during annual Xbox Games Showcase 2024
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Maren Morris comes out as bisexual months after divorce filing: 'Happy pride'
- I'm a Seasoned SKIMS Shopper, I Predict These Styles Will Sell Out ASAP. Shop Before It's Too Late.
- Dan Hurley staying at Connecticut after meeting with Los Angeles Lakers about move to NBA
Recommendation
Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
An investment firm has taken a $1.9 billion stake in Southwest Airlines and wants to oust the CEO
Will Smith confirms he tried to adopt 'I Am Legend' canine co-star
Ian McKellen on if he'd return as Gandalf in new 'Lord of the Rings' movie: 'If I'm alive'
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
Denise Richards, Sami Sheen and Lola Sheen Are Getting a Wild New E! Reality Series
Kim Porter's Dad Addresses Despicable Video of Diddy Assaulting His Ex Cassie
Dan Hurley staying at Connecticut after meeting with Los Angeles Lakers about move to NBA