Current:Home > NewsMany eligible North Carolina school voucher applicants won’t get awards -WealthRoots Academy
Many eligible North Carolina school voucher applicants won’t get awards
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 17:20:11
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — A massive spike in applications to North Carolina’s school voucher program means most higher-income families won’t receive financial help for the coming year even though the General Assembly did away with income caps on the program. There simply isn’t enough money to accommodate a six-fold increase to 72,000 new applicants this year, all seeking subsidies to send their children to private K-12 schools through the Opportunity Scholarship program, according to reporting by the The News & Observer of Raleigh and WRAL-TV.
Lawmakers in 2023 also opened first-time grants to current private school students.
State law requires the program to first offer scholarships to existing voucher holders. More than 32,500 students received them this year. Next come the lowest-income applicants -- for example, a family of four that makes a maximum $57,720. Families earning up to twice that amount are prioritized in the next group.
The authority said it awarded new vouchers for the maximum amount of $7,468 per child to over 13,500 applicants from the lowest-income tier, according to the media reports. Applicants must decide by April 19 whether to accept the award.
Based on the numbers so far, only some applicants in the next tier will receive scholarships, the authority said. Those applicants are eligible for $6,722 per child. How many will get an award depends on how many applicants from the lowest income bracket accept their offers.
There is no money available for higher income groups — like families of four making over $115,440 annually — the authority said.
Lawmakers provided $293.5 million for the program for the 2024-25 school year, The News & Observer reported. The current state budget envisions transferring more public money to scholarship funds over the next decade, reaching over $500 million annually by fall 2031.
It’s still possible for the General Assembly to increase next year’s voucher funding to assist more students. The budget-adjustment session begins April 24.
Democratic Gov. Roy Cooper, a longtime critic of the scholarships, has called for a moratorium on expanding the program until he says public schools are fully funded. Republicans hold narrow veto-proof majorities in the House and Senate.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Watch: Trail cam captures bear cubs wrestling, playing in California pond
- Automakers hit ‘significant storm,’ as buyers reject lofty prices at time of huge capital outlays
- Indiana man competent for trial in police officer’s killing
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Cucumber recall for listeria risk grows to other veggies in more states and stores
- Spicy dispute over the origins of Flamin’ Hot Cheetos winds up in court
- Rural Nevada judge suspended with pay after indictment on federal fraud charges
- A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
- USA vs. France takeaways: What Americans' loss in Paris Olympics opener taught us
Ranking
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- San Diego Padres in playoff hunt despite trading superstar Juan Soto: 'Vibes are high'
- USA Basketball players are not staying at Paris Olympic Village — and that's nothing new
- Booties. Indoor dog parks. And following the vet’s orders. How to keep pets cool this summer
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- What's next for 3-time AL MVP Mike Trout after latest injury setback?
- Olympians Are Putting Cardboard Beds to the Ultimate Test—But It's Not What You Think
- Polyamory, pregnancy and the truth about what happens when a baby enters the picture
Recommendation
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
Video game performers will go on strike over artificial intelligence concerns
Nashville grapples with lingering neo-Nazi presence in tourist-friendly city
An 11-year-old Virginia boy is charged with making swatting calls to Florida schools
NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
Fewer Americans file for jobless claims as applications remain at elevated, but not troubling levels
North Korean charged in ransomware attacks on American hospitals
10 to watch: Why Olympian Jahmal Harvey gives USA Boxing hope to end gold-medal drought