Current:Home > NewsTrial opens of Serb gunmen accused of attacking Kosovo police -WealthRoots Academy
Trial opens of Serb gunmen accused of attacking Kosovo police
NovaQuant Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 19:36:38
PRISTINA, Kosovo (AP) — A Kosovo court on Wednesday opened a trial of 45 people charged over a gunfight following an incursion by heavily armed Serb gunmen last year, as tensions remain tense between Serbia and its former breakaway province.
The trial at the Pristina District Court was held under tight security. Only three Serb defendants were present and the others are at large.
The three pleaded not guilty to the charges of violation of constitutional and legal order, terror activities, funding terrorism and money laundering. If convicted, they face a maximum sentence of life in prison. Their lawyers have 30 days to oppose the charges.
The gunmen shot dead a Kosovar police officer and three gunmen were later killed in a shootout with police in the village of Banjska on Sept. 24, 2023. Kosovo has accused Serbia of involvement, but Belgrade denied it.
Arianit Koci, a lawyer representing the family of the slain officer, Afrim Bunjaku, said he expected they will be convicted based on “irrefutable evidence.”
Among those charged in absentia is Milan Radoicic, a politician and wealthy businessman with ties to Serbia’s ruling populist party and President Aleksandar Vucic.
After the shooting, Serbia briefly detained Radoicic, who had fled back there, on suspicion of criminal conspiracy, unlawful possession of weapons and explosives and grave acts against public safety. Radoicic denied the charges although earlier admitted he was part of the paramilitary group involved in the gunfight.
Prosecutor Naim Abazi said that the defendants, under Radoicic’s command, tried to break away the Serb-majority municipalities in the northern part of Kosovo and join Serbia proper.
Radoicic is under U.S. and British sanctions for his alleged financial criminal activity. Serbia said that Radoicic and his group acted on their own.
EU and U.S. officials have demanded that Serbia bring the perpetrators to justice. Kosovo has called on the international community to press Belgrade to hand over the gunmen.
Kosovo was a Serbian province until NATO’s 78-day bombing campaign in 1999 ended a war between Serbian government forces and ethnic Albanian separatists in Kosovo, which left about 13,000 dead, mainly ethnic Albanians, and pushed Serbian forces out. Kosovo proclaimed independence in 2008.
Brussels and Washington are urging both sides to implement agreements that Vucic and Kosovo Prime Minister Albin Kurti reached in February and March last year. They include a commitment by Kosovo to establish an Association of the Serb-Majority Municipalities. Serbia is also expected to deliver on the de-facto recognition of Kosovo, which Belgrade still considers its province.
The NATO-led international peacekeepers known as KFOR have increased their presence in Kosovo after last year’s tensions.
___
Semini reported from Tirana, Albania. Follow Semini at https://x.com/lsemini
veryGood! (3831)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Book It to the Beach With These Page Turning Summer Reads
- University of California academic workers strike to stand up for pro-Palestinian protesters
- Jelly Roll to train for half marathon: 'It's an 18-month process'
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Push to enforce occupancy rule in College Station highlights Texas A&M students’ housing woes
- Ricky Stenhouse Jr. throws punch at Kyle Busch after incident in NASCAR All-Star Race
- Book It to the Beach With These Page Turning Summer Reads
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Pro-Palestinian protesters at Drexel ignore call to disband as arrests nationwide approach 3,000
Ranking
- Bodycam footage shows high
- House GOP says revived border bill dead on arrival as Senate plans vote
- The government wants to buy their flood-prone homes. But these Texans aren’t moving.
- Scarlett Johansson Slams OpenAI for Using “Eerily Similar” Voice on ChatGPT’s Sky System
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- Anne Hathaway's White-Hot Corset Gown Is From Gap—Yes, Really
- Man who kidnapped wife, buried her alive gets life sentence in Arizona
- Hometown of Laura Ingalls Wilder set for a growth spurt
Recommendation
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Big Ten outpaced SEC with $880 million in revenue for 2023 fiscal year with most schools getting $60.5 million
Trump Media and Technology Group posts more than $300 million net loss in first public quarter
Auburn running back Brian Battie on ventilator after weekend shooting in Florida, coach says
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Patricia Heaton Defends Harrison Butker Amid Controversial Speech Backlash
California county’s farm bureau sues over state monitoring of groundwater
New romance books for a steamy summer: Emily Henry, Abby Jimenez, Kevin Kwan, more