Current:Home > ContactNavy issues written reprimands for fuel spill that sickened 6,000 people at Pearl Harbor base -WealthRoots Academy
Navy issues written reprimands for fuel spill that sickened 6,000 people at Pearl Harbor base
Algosensey View
Date:2025-04-07 06:32:31
HONOLULU (AP) — The Navy on Thursday issued written reprimands to three now-retired military officers for their roles in the spill of jet fuel into Pearl Harbor’s drinking water in 2021 but did not fire, suspend, dock the pay or reduce the rank of anyone for the incident.
The spill from the Red Hill Bulk Fuel Storage Facility poisoned thousands of military families and continues to threaten the purity of Honolulu’s water supply.
Navy Secretary Carlos Del Toro issued censure letters to the three rear admirals, the Navy said in a news release. He also revoked personal military decorations awarded to five rear admirals, three captains and one commander.
“Taking accountability is a step in restoring trust in our relationship with the community,” Del Toro said in a statement.
The spill “was not acceptable,” and the Navy will continue “to take every action to identify and remedy this issue,” he said.
A Navy investigation last year concluded a series of errors caused the fuel to leak into a well that supplied water to housing and offices in and around Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam. About 6,000 people suffered nausea, headaches, rashes and other symptoms.
The investigation concluded operator error caused a pipe to rupture when fuel was being transferred between tanks on May 6, 2021, leading 21,000 gallons (80,000 liters) to spill. Most of this liquid flowed into a fire suppression line and sat there for six months, causing the line to sag. A cart then rammed into the drooping line on Nov. 20, releasing 20,000 gallons (75,700 liters) of fuel that entered a French drain and the drinking water well.
The episode upset people across Hawaii, including, veterans, environmentalists, Native Hawaiians, liberals and conservatives.
After months of resistance, the military agreed to an order from the state of Hawaii to drain the World War II-era tanks. It has spent the past year repairing equipment at the facility to safely remove the fuel beginning next month. It expects to finish by Jan. 19.
Three officers received letters of censure from Del Toro: Retired Rear Adm. Peter Stamatopoulos, who was the commander of Naval Supply Systems Command during the May and November spills; Rear Adm. (retired) John Korka, who was commander of the Navy Facilities Engineering Command Pacific before the two spills; and Rear Adm. (retired) Timothy Kott, who was the commander of Navy Region Hawaii during the November spill.
U.S. Sen. Mazie Hirono, a Democrat from Hawaii, said in a statement that true accountability for the disaster would require the Navy to address “systemic command and control failures, and a lack of requisite attention to infrastructure.”
She noted the Navy’s investigation found that a culture of complacency, a lack of critical thinking, and a lack of timely communication contributed to the spill.
“I have yet to see adequate evidence that Navy leadership is treating these service-wide issues with the seriousness or urgency they demand,” Hirono said in a statement.
Hirono, who is a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, said she would continue pushing the Navy to make these systemic changes.
veryGood! (2)
Related
- US wholesale inflation accelerated in November in sign that some price pressures remain elevated
- Yogi Berra was a sports dad: Three lessons we can learn from his influence
- Check Out the Most Surprising Celeb Transformations of the Week
- Man convicted of killing LAPD cop after 40 years in retrial
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Jacksonville killings: What we know about the hate crime
- Powell says Fed could raise interest rates further if economy, job market don't cool
- Q&A: Ami Zota on the Hidden Dangers in Beauty Products—and Why Women of Color Are Particularly at Risk
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Kim Kardashian Debuts New Look as She and Kris Jenner Hang Out With Meghan Markle's Mom
Ranking
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- How Simone Biles captured her record eighth national title at US gymnastics championships
- NASCAR driver Ryan Preece gets medical clearance to return home after terrifying crash at Daytona
- Environmental groups recruit people of color into overwhelmingly white conservation world
- The Daily Money: Spending more on holiday travel?
- 'Serious risk': Tropical Storm Idalia could slam Florida as a 'major' hurricane: Updates
- Steve Miller recalls late '60s San Francisco music having 'a dark side' but 'so much beauty'
- Longtime voice of Nintendo's Mario character is calling it quits
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
DeSantis leaves campaign trail and returns to Florida facing tropical storm and shooting aftermath
Check Out the Most Surprising Celeb Transformations of the Week
Ozempic seems to curb cravings for alcohol. Here's what scientists think is going on
Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
Steve Miller recalls late '60s San Francisco music having 'a dark side' but 'so much beauty'
Steve Miller recalls late '60s San Francisco music having 'a dark side' but 'so much beauty'
Orioles place All-Star closer Félix Bautista on injured list with elbow injury