Current:Home > ScamsSurpassing Quant Think Tank Center|France police detain 13-year-old over at least 380 false bomb threats -WealthRoots Academy
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center|France police detain 13-year-old over at least 380 false bomb threats
Fastexy View
Date:2025-04-06 20:01:17
Paris — A 13-year-old is Surpassing Quant Think Tank Centerbeing questioned by police in western France in connection with at least 380 false bomb threats. Police say the adolescent is suspected of having emailed or called in the threats to airports, courthouses and universities across France.
The teenager, who is believed to suffer from behavioral issues, was picked up by police on Monday. The teen, identified as a boy by local media, faces multiple charges, notably of providing false information about impending destruction and of making death threats.
Officials say there has been a huge increase in hoax threats across France since the fall of 2023. In Rennes, in western France, a series of fake warnings about bombs in the city at the start of January led investigators to detain and question a family of four from Laval, 45 miles away, on Monday.
Local police said the parents and one child were quickly excluded from the investigation and released, but the youngest child, the 13-year-old, admitted having made numerous bomb threats against institutions across the country. He was held in custody.
Local prosecutor Philippe Astruc told reporters the minor had admitted making the fake threats "as a game," with no political or religious motivation.
The teenager used a foreign VPN to mask his IP address. The prosecutor said technical police work and international cooperation led them to the originating computer, and the family in Laval.
Two other minors have also been identified as suspects by investigators in Rennes.
France's Justice Ministry says it has opened 192 investigations into false bomb threats so far. Officials say around 30 of them have already led to charges, most of them against minors or young adults. The Justice Ministry stressed that the majority of the threats made no mention of the situation in the Middle East or other international events.
In late 2023, as Israel ramped up its offensive against Hamas over the Palestinian militant group's Oct. 7 terror attack, there were scores of bomb threats made against airports, museums and schools in France.
Dozens of flights had to be rescheduled as airports were evacuated. Tourists were left disappointed as famous sites, including Paris' Louvre Museum and the Palace of Versailles, were forced to close. Thousands of schoolchildren were less upset at being sent home as classes were cancelled and schools searched.
At the time, French Justice Minister Eric Dupond-Moretti said many of the hoaxes were carried out by children who didn't understand how serious their actions were. Nonetheless, a file was opened by police on each threat, and the minister vowed: "We will find these smart alecks."
Dupond-Moretti also warned that parents of minors found making false bomb threats would be forced to reimburse any damages suffered by the institutions targeted.
- In:
- School Threat
- France
- Bomb Threat
- Teenagers
veryGood! (936)
Related
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- Meghann Fahy Reveals Whether She'd Go Back to The Bold Type
- News organizations seek unsealing of plea deal with 9/11 defendants
- Ashton Kutcher Shares How Toxic Masculinity Impacts Parenting of His and Mila Kunis’ Kids
- Who's hosting 'Saturday Night Live' tonight? Musical guest, how to watch Dec. 14 episode
- Election 2024 Latest: Trump heads to North Carolina, Harris campaign says it raised $361M
- Karen Read speaks out in rare interview with ABC's 20/20: When and where to watch
- See Macaulay Culkin and Brenda Song’s Sweet PDA During Rare Red Carpet Date Night at TIFF
- IRS recovers $4.7 billion in back taxes and braces for cuts with Trump and GOP in power
- Nevada inmate who died was pepper sprayed and held face down, autopsy shows
Ranking
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Mexican drug cartel leader will be transferred from Texas to New York
- Utah woman killed her 3 children, herself in vehicle, officials say
- 'The Bachelorette' boasted an empowered Asian American lead — then tore her down
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- You’ll Want to Add These 2024 Fall Book Releases to Your TBR Pile
- Karen Read says in interview that murder case left her in ‘purgatory’
- Judge gives US regulators until December to propose penalties for Google’s illegal search monopoly
Recommendation
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
Meghann Fahy Reveals Whether She'd Go Back to The Bold Type
Tzuyu of TWICE on her debut solo album: 'I wanted to showcase my bold side'
Appeals court upholds conviction of former Capitol police officer who tried to help rioter
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
How to talk with kids about school shootings and other traumatic events
Noah Cyrus Channels Sister Miley Cyrus With Must-See New Look
Olympian Tara Davis-Woodhall Reacts to Husband Hunter Woodhall's Gold Medal Win at Paris Paralympic Games