Current:Home > ContactPrince Harry challenges UK government’s decision to strip him of security detail when he moved to US -WealthRoots Academy
Prince Harry challenges UK government’s decision to strip him of security detail when he moved to US
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 20:06:32
LONDON (AP) — Prince Harry is challenging on Tuesday the British government’s decision to strip him of his security detail after he gave up his status as a working member of the royal family and moved to the United States.
The Duke of Sussex said he wants protection when he visits home and claimed it’s partly because an aggressive press jeopardizes his safety and that of his family.
The three-day hearing scheduled to begin in London’s High Court is the latest in a string of Harry’s legal cases that have kept London judges busy as he takes on the U.K. government and the British tabloid media. It was not clear if he would attend Tuesday’s hearing.
Harry failed to persuade a different judge earlier this year that he should be able to privately pay for London’s police force to guard him when he comes to town. A judge denied that offer after a government lawyer argued that officers shouldn’t be used as “private bodyguards for the wealthy.”
Harry, the youngest son of King Charles III, said he did not feel safe bringing his wife, former actor Meghan Markle, and their two young children back to Britain and was concerned about his own safety after being chased by paparazzi following a London charity event.
Harry’s animosity toward the press dates back to the death of his mother Princess Diana, who died in a car wreck as her driver tried to outrun aggressive photographers in Paris. Harry, whose wife is mixed-raced, cited what he said were racist attitudes and unbearable intrusions of the British media in his decision to leave the United Kingdom.
The 39-year-old prince is challenging the decision by the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures to provide his security on a “case by case” basis after moving in 2020 to Canada and then California, where he and his family now reside.
He said the committee unfairly nixed his security request without hearing from him personally and did not disclose the makeup of the panel, which he later learned included royal family staff. He said Edward Young, the assistant private secretary to the late Queen Elizabeth II, should not have been on the committee because of “significant tensions” between the two men.
The Home Office has argued that any tensions between Harry and the royal household staff was irrelevant and that the committee was entitled to its decision because he had relinquished his role as a working member of the family.
The case is one of five that Harry has pending in the High Court.
The four other lawsuits involve Britain’s best-known tabloids, including a case that alleges the publisher of the Daily Mail libeled him when it ran a story suggesting he had tried to hide his efforts to continue receiving government-funded security. A ruling is expected in that case Friday.
Three other lawsuits allege that journalists at the Mail, the Daily Mirror, and The Sun used unlawful means, such as deception, phone hacking or hiring private investigators to dig up dirt about him.
veryGood! (1549)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- TikToker Allison Kuch Weighs In On Influencers' Controversial Baby Names
- Chris Kreider hat trick rallies Rangers past Hurricanes, into Eastern Conference finals
- Witness at Sen. Bob Menendez’s bribery trial says meat-export monopoly made costs soar
- Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
- Dabney Coleman, actor who specialized in curmudgeons, dies at 92
- Horoscopes Today, May 17, 2024
- 'I don't think that's wise': Video captures herd of bison charging tourists in Yellowstone
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- Israel-Hamas war protesters temporarily take over building on University of Chicago campus
Ranking
- Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
- How powerful windstorms caused deaths and extensive damage across Houston
- The Best Father's Day Gifts to Impress Every Dad in Your Life
- Fans divided over age restriction in Stockholm for Taylor Swift's Eras Tour
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Jury finds Chicago police officer not guilty in girlfriend’s 2021 shooting death
- Missouri candidate with ties to the KKK can stay on the Republican ballot, judge rules
- Eight years after Rio Olympics, gold medalist Gabby Douglas getting ending she deserves
Recommendation
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Bill to ban most public mask wearing, including for health reasons, advances in North Carolina
UFL schedule for Week 8 games: Odds, times, how to stream and watch on TV
New app allows you to send text, audio and video messages to loved ones after you die
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
Caitlin Clark just made her WNBA debut. Here's how she and her team did.
Doctor, 2 children who were students at LSU killed in Nashville plane crash: What to know
2024 Academy of Country Music Awards: The complete winners list