Current:Home > reviewsMexico’s National Guard kills 2 Colombians and wounds 4 on a migrant smuggling route near the US -WealthRoots Academy
Mexico’s National Guard kills 2 Colombians and wounds 4 on a migrant smuggling route near the US
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 02:48:24
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico’s National Guard fatally shot two Colombians and wounded four others in what the Defense Department claimed was a confrontation near the U.S. border.
Colombia’s foreign ministry said in a statement Sunday that all of the victims were migrants who had been “caught in the crossfire.” It identified the dead as a 20-year-old man and a 37-year-old woman, and gave the number of Colombians wounded as five, not four. There was no immediate explanation for the discrepancy.
Mexico’s Defense Department, which controls the National Guard, did not respond to requests for comment Monday on whether the victims were migrants, but it said one Colombian who was not injured in the shootings was turned over to immigration officials, suggesting they were.
If they were migrants, it would mark the second time in just over a month that military forces in Mexico have opened fire on and killed migrants.
On Oct. 1, the day President Claudia Sheinbaum took office, soldiers opened fire on a truck, killing six migrants in the southern state of Chiapas. An 11-year-old girl from Egypt, her 18-year-old sister and a 17-year-old boy from El Salvador died in that shooting, along with people from Peru and Honduras.
The most recent shootings happened Saturday on a dirt road near Tecate, east of Otay Mesa on the California border, that is frequently used by Mexican migrant smugglers, the department said in a statement late Sunday.
The Defense Department said a militarized National Guard patrol came under fire after spotting two trucks in the area, which is near an informal border crossing and wind power generation plant known as La Rumorosa.
One truck sped off and escaped. The National Guard opened fire on the other truck, killing two Colombians and wounding four others. There was no immediate information on their conditions, and there were no reported casualties among the guardsmen involved.
One Colombian and one Mexican man were found and detained unharmed at the scene, and the departments said officers found a pistol and several magazines commonly used for assault rifles at the scene.
Colombians have sometimes been recruited as gunmen for Mexican drug cartels, which are also heavily involved in migrant smuggling. But the fact the survivor was turned over to immigration officials and that the Foreign Relations Department contacted the Colombian consulate suggests they were migrants.
Cartel gunmen sometimes escort or kidnap migrants as they travel to the U.S. border. One possible scenario was that armed migrant smugglers may have been in one or both of the trucks, but that the migrants were basically unarmed bystanders.
The defense department said the three National Guard officers who opened fire have been taken off duty.
Former president Andrés Manuel López Obrador, who left office Sept. 30, gave the military an unprecedentedly wide role in public life and law enforcement; he created the militarized Guard and used the combined military forces as the country’s main law enforcement agencies, supplanting police. The Guard has since been placed under the control of the army.
But critics say the military is not trained to do civilian law enforcement work. Moreover, lopsided death tolls in such confrontations — in which all the deaths and injuries occur on one side — raise suspicions among activists whether there really was a confrontation.
For example, the soldiers who opened fire in Chiapas — who have been detained pending charges — claimed they heard “detonations” prior to opening fire. There was no indication any weapons were found at the scene.
____
Follow AP’s coverage of Latin America and the Caribbean at https://apnews.com/hub/latin-america
veryGood! (1466)
Related
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- After massive AT&T data breach, can users do anything?
- Princess of Wales set to attend Wimbledon men’s final on Sunday in rare public appearance
- Alec Baldwin's Rust Shooting Trial Dismissed With Prejudice
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Spain's Carlos Alcaraz booed for talking Euro 2024 final after Wimbledon win in London
- Mother and son charged in grandmother’s death at Virginia senior living facility
- 5 people escape hot, acidic pond after SUV drove into inactive geyser in Yellowstone National Park
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Peter Navarro, Trump ex-aide jailed for contempt of Congress, will address RNC, AP sources say
Ranking
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Monte Kiffin, longtime DC who helped revolutionize defensive football, dies at 84
- Euphoria Season 3 Finally Has a Start Date
- Actor Matthew McConaughey tells governors he is still mulling future run for political office
- Bill Belichick's salary at North Carolina: School releases football coach's contract details
- First victim of 1921 Tulsa massacre of Black community is identified since graves found, mayor says
- Mississippi must move quickly on a court-ordered redistricting, say voting rights attorneys
- Princess of Wales set to attend Wimbledon men’s final on Sunday in rare public appearance
Recommendation
Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
Police chief resigns after theft of his vehicle, shootout in Maine town
Civil rights groups call for DOJ probe on police response to campus protests
Emergency workers uncover dozens of bodies in a Gaza City district after Israeli assault
Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
Watch Biden's full news conference from last night defying calls for him to drop out
‘Hot girl summer,’ move aside. Women are going ‘boysober’ and have never felt better.
Federal prosecutors seek 14-month imprisonment for former Alabama lawmaker