Current:Home > ScamsNevada flooding forces Burning Man attendees to shelter in place -WealthRoots Academy
Nevada flooding forces Burning Man attendees to shelter in place
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 23:48:56
Thousands of Burning Man attendees trudged in sloppy mud on Saturday — many barefoot or wearing plastic bags on their feet — as flooding from storms swept through the Nevada desert, forcing organizers to close vehicular access to the counterculture festival. Revelers were urged to shelter in place and conserve food, water and other supplies.
Vehicular gates will be closed for the remainder of the event, which began on Aug. 27 and was scheduled to end on Monday, according to the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, which oversees the Black Rock Desert where the festival is being held. Organizers urged festivalgoers to conserve their food, water and fuel.
The Black Rock City Municipal Airport, a temporary pop-up airport used by festival goers every summer specifically for Burning Man, was closed as of Saturday evening, the festival said.
"All event access is currently closed," the festival said, and no driving was permitted except for emergency vehicles.
The Reno Gazette Journal reported that organizers started rationing ice sales and that all vehicle traffic at the sprawling festival grounds had been stopped, leaving portable toilets unable to be serviced.
Officials haven't yet said when the entrance is expected to be opened again, and it wasn't immediately known when celebrants could leave the grounds.
More than one-half inch of rain is believed to have fallen on Friday at the festival site, located about 110 miles north of Reno, the National Weather Service in Reno said. There was a chance of showers and thunderstorms Saturday night and Sunday, the festival said on its website, with a quarter-inch of rain forecast for Sunday.
Superstar DJ and music producer Diplo shared a video to social media Saturday afternoon that showed several people riding on the back of a truck leaving the festival, one of whom appeared to be comedian Chris Rock.
"Just walked 5 miles in the mud out of burning man with chris rock and a fan picked us up," Diplo wrote.
Spencer Brown, another DJ, posted to social media Saturday that there was "absolutely crazy flooding right now, but I, along with my camp, am safe with plenty of water, food, and shelter. Turning off the Starlink to conserve power."
Many people played beer pong, danced and splashed in standing water, the Gazette Journal said. Mike Jed, a festivalgoer, and fellow campers made a bucket toilet so people didn't have to trudge as often through the mud to reach the portable toilets.
"If it really turns into a disaster, well, no one is going to have sympathy for us," Jed said. "I mean, it's Burning Man."
Due to recent rainfall, the Bureau of Land Management and the Pershing County Sheriff's Office officials have closed the entrance to Burning Man for the remainder of the event. Please avoid traveling to the area; you will be turned around. All event access is closed. pic.twitter.com/BY8Rv7eFLD
— Washoe Sheriff (@WashoeSheriff) September 2, 2023
- In:
- Burning Man
- Nevada
- Flooding
veryGood! (23119)
Related
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Black men have lowest melanoma survival rate compared to other races, study finds
- 'The Exorcist': That time William Friedkin gave us a tour of the movie's making
- NFL training camp notebook: Teams still trying to get arms around new fair-catch rule
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Brian Austin Green Sends Message to Critics of His Newly Shaved Head
- Australian police charge 19 men with child sex abuse after FBI tips about dark web sharing
- Arrest warrants issued for Alabama riverfront brawl
- Nearly 400 USAID contract employees laid off in wake of Trump's 'stop work' order
- Inundation and Injustice: Flooding Presents a Formidable Threat to the Great Lakes Region
Ranking
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Federal judge tosses Trump's defamation claim against E. Jean Carroll
- Judge in Trump's classified docs case questions use of out-of-district grand jury
- Glacial outburst flooding destroys at least 2 buildings, prompts evacuations in Alaskan capital of Juneau
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Unlimited vacation can save companies billions. But is it a bad deal for workers?
- What are the 10 largest US lottery jackpots ever won?
- Consumer credit grows at moderate pace as Fed rate hikes take hold.
Recommendation
'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
Simon & Schuster purchased by private equity firm KKR for $1.62 billion
Kia recall: Over 120,000 Niro, Niro EV cars recalled for risk of engine compartment fire
Trump's attorneys argue for narrower protective order in 2020 election case
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
Horoscopes Today, August 7, 2023
DeSantis acknowledges Trump's defeat in 2020 election: Of course he lost
As the East Coast braces for severe thunderstorms, record heat sears the South