Current:Home > ContactA judge orders Texas to move a floating barrier used to deter migrants to the bank of the Rio Grande -WealthRoots Academy
A judge orders Texas to move a floating barrier used to deter migrants to the bank of the Rio Grande
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 20:08:55
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — A federal judge on Wednesday ordered Texas to move a large floating barrier to the bank of the Rio Grande after protests from the the U.S. and Mexican governments over Republican Gov. Greg Abbott’s latest tactic to stop migrants from crossing America’s southern border.
The decision by U.S. District Judge David Ezra is a victory for President Joe Biden’s administration, which sued after Texas put the wrecking ball-sized buoys on the water in early July as part of a sprawling border security mission known as Operation Lone Star. The judge said the state must move the barrier by Sept. 15.
The barrier threatens provisions of a treaty between U.S. and Mexico, wrote Ezra, who also cast doubt on its effectiveness.
“The State of Texas did not present any credible evidence that the buoy barrier as installed has significantly curtailed illegal immigration across the Rio Grande River,” Ezra wrote.
Abbott said Texas would appeal.
“Today’s court decision merely prolongs President Biden’s willful refusal to acknowledge that Texas is rightfully stepping up to do the job that he should have been doing all along,” Abbott said.
Texas used dozens of bright orange buoys to created a barrier longer than a soccer field on a stretch of river where migrants often try crossing from Mexico. Texas also has installed razor wire and steel fencing on the border, and has empowered armed officers to arrest migrants on trespassing charges.
The buoys brought a swift legal challenge from the U.S. Justice Department, which accused Texas putting a barrier on the international boundary without permission. The Biden administration also said the water barrier raised humanitarian and environmental concerns.
Texas installed the barrier near the border town of Eagle Pass and put anchors in the riverbed. Eagle Pass is part of a Border Patrol sector that has seen the second-highest number of migrant crossings this fiscal year with about 270,000 encounters — though that is lower than it was at this time last year.
The Biden administration has said illegal border crossings declined after new immigration rules took effect in May as pandemic-related asylum restrictions expired.
Like other pieces of Abbott’s multibillion-dollar border mission known as Operation Lone Star, the buoys pick up where former President Donald Trump left off. Plans for the same water barrier were in the pipeline in 2020, according to Mark Morgan, who at the time was the acting commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
Morgan said the plans were scrapped after Biden took office. He called the barrier a “water wall” and said it was intended to be used as a stopgap in sections of the border where fences were not yet built or were impractical.
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Even in the most depressed county in America, stigma around mental illness persists
- Internet outage at University of Michigan campuses on first day of classes
- Amy Robach Returns to Instagram Nearly a Year After Her and T.J. Holmes' GMA3 Scandal
- Meet first time Grammy nominee Charley Crockett
- Florida Governor Ron DeSantis faces Black leaders’ anger after racist killings in Jacksonville
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra announces dates for their yearly winter tour with 104 shows
- Tropical Storm Idalia set to become hurricane as Florida schools close, DeSantis expands state of emergency
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- More than 150 bats found inside Utah high school as students returned from summer break
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- Two adults, two young children found fatally stabbed inside New York City apartment
- Clean Up Everyday Messes With a $99 Deal on a Shark Handheld Vacuum That’s Just 1.4 Pounds
- 3 U.S. Marines killed in Osprey aircraft crash in Australia
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Race Car Driver Daniel Ricciardo Shares Hospital Update After Dutch Grand Prix Crash
- 1 dead after a driver and biker group exchange gunfire in road rage dispute near Independence Hall
- 'Like a baseball bat to the kneecaps': Michigan's Jim Harbaugh weighs in on suspension
Recommendation
Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
Second man dies following weekend shooting in downtown Louisville
University of North Carolina warns of armed person on campus and urges people to stay inside
2 dead, 5 injured after Sunday morning shooting at Louisville restaurant
What to know about Tuesday’s US House primaries to replace Matt Gaetz and Mike Waltz
Youth soccer parent allegedly attacks coach with metal water bottle
Missouri law banning minors from beginning gender-affirming treatments takes effect
Michigan woman pleads no contest in 2022 pond crash that led to drowning deaths of her 3 young sons