Current:Home > NewsJack Teixeira, alleged Pentagon leaker, to plead guilty -WealthRoots Academy
Jack Teixeira, alleged Pentagon leaker, to plead guilty
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 21:09:39
Jack Teixeira, the former member of the Massachusetts Air National Guard charged with leaking hundreds of highly classified military and intelligence documents, intends to plead guilty, according two sources familiar with the matter and court filings.
Teixeira is scheduled to enter the plea during a court hearing in federal court in Boston on Monday. The court's calendar now includes what's known as a Rule 11 hearing, where a judge reviews whether a guilty plea is voluntary and adequate. Teixeira's attorney declined to comment on Thursday.
He has been detained since his arrest last April, several weeks after the sensitive documents began circulating online.
Investigators said in previous court documents that Teixeira used his position as a systems administrator in the 102nd Intelligence Wing in the Massachusetts Air National Guard to obtain and then illegally disseminate classified military information on the online messaging platform Discord.
A federal grand jury indicted him on six counts of willful retention and transmission of national defense information in June 2023. He initially pleaded not guilty. It was not immediately clear what charge or charges he will now plead guilty to.
The classified documents covered a number of subjects, but some of the most revelatory were documents about Russia and Ukraine that disclosed troop movements, as well as a timeline for Western deliveries of weapons to Ukraine.
Prosecutors say in some instances, Teixeira transcribed the information he was leaking, and in other instances, posted photographs of the documents.
In arguing for Teixeira's pretrial detention in April, prosecutors alleged that he sent more than 40,000 messages on Discord between Nov. 1, 2022, and April 7, 2023, some of which contained sensitive government records. He allegedly began accessing the classified information in February 2022 and later posted the information online.
The Air Force ultimately took action against 15 individuals for "dereliction in the performance of duties" after the service's inspector general found that Teixeira's unit failed to take proper action after at least four separate security incidents. The report concluded that Teixeira alone was responsible for the leaks, but members of his unit "enabled" the disclosures by not properly supervising his access to classified information.
Eleanor Watson contributed to this report.
- In:
- Air National Guard
- Massachusetts
- Classified Documents
- Pentagon
- Politics
- Jack Teixeira
Robert Legare is a CBS News multiplatform reporter and producer covering the Justice Department, federal courts and investigations. He was previously an associate producer for the "CBS Evening News with Norah O'Donnell."
veryGood! (5)
Related
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- The body recovered of 1 of 2 men who vanished last week after kayaks capsized in Indianapolis
- Luke Bryan slips on fan's cellphone during concert, jokes he needed to go 'viral'
- One dead, 7 missing after 2 Japanese navy choppers crash in Pacific
- Man can't find second winning lottery ticket, sues over $394 million jackpot, lawsuit says
- Biden will send Ukraine air defense weapons, artillery once Senate approves, Zelenskyy says
- Jury deliberating in Iraq Abu Ghraib prison abuse civil case; contractor casts blame on Army
- Aid for Ukraine, Israel and Taiwan heads to the Senate for final approval after months of delay
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Tesla cuts prices around the globe amid slowing demand for its EVs
Ranking
- What to watch: O Jolie night
- The fatal shooting of an Ohio officer during a training exercise being probed as a possible homicide
- Trump trial in hush money case gets underway with opening statements and first witness
- See the bronze, corgi-adorned statue honoring Queen Elizabeth II on her 98th birthday: Photos
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Youth group, environmental organizations sue Maine for action on climate
- The fatal shooting of an Ohio officer during a training exercise being probed as a possible homicide
- Below Deck's Captain Kerry Titheradge Fires 3rd Season 11 Crewmember
Recommendation
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
Internet providers roll out broadband nutrition labels for consumers
Olivia Wilde and Jason Sudeikis' 10-Year-Old Son Otis Is All Grown Up in Rare Photo
Seattle hospital won’t turn over gender-affirming care records in lawsuit settlement with Texas
B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
Restaurant chain Tijuana Flats files for bankruptcy, announces closure of 11 locations
Olivia Munn Shares How Son Malcolm Helped Lift Her Up During Rough Cancer Recovery
Chicago Bears schedule a Wednesday announcement on new stadium near lakefront