Current:Home > reviewsRekubit Exchange:8 workers apparently tried to quit their jobs at a drug cartel call center. They were killed and their body parts were placed in bags. -WealthRoots Academy
Rekubit Exchange:8 workers apparently tried to quit their jobs at a drug cartel call center. They were killed and their body parts were placed in bags.
Robert Brown View
Date:2025-04-06 19:06:05
As many as eight young workers were confirmed dead Tuesday in Mexico after they apparently tried to quit jobs at a call center operated by a violent drug cartel that targeted Americans in a real estate scam.
U.S. and Rekubit ExchangeMexican officials confirmed the brutal story that unfolded late last month when relatives of the youths reported them missing after they did not return from work in an office near the western city of Guadalajara. Suspicions rose last week when heaps of hacked-up body parts were found in plastic bags.
Forensic examiners in the western state of Jalisco said in a statement Monday that tests had confirmed the bodies belonged to the missing call center workers.
A total of six men and two women were reported missing between May 20 and May 22, but the forensic examiners did not mention the number of confirmed identities. There had been doubts about whether one of the youths was among the bodies found.
While the families believed their children worked at a normal call center, the office was in fact run by the Jalisco New Generation cartel, Mexico's most violent gang. The cartel has branched out beyond its traditional business of drug trafficking, extortion and kidnapping.
The Department of Justice considers the Jalisco cartel to be "one of the five most dangerous transnational criminal organizations in the world." The cartel's leader, Nemesio Oseguera, "El Mencho," is among the most sought by Mexican and U.S. authorities.
Officials confirmed the cartel now operates call centers that scam money from Americans and Canadians through fake offers to buy their timeshares.
Jalisco officials did not offer a motive in the killings of the workers, all but two of whom were under 30. But a U.S. official speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly on the issue said it appeared the youths were killed by the Jalisco cartel after they tried to quit their jobs.
"Best guess is these kids had decided they wanted out of the business," the U.S. official said, adding the cartel was "sending a message to other defectors."
"It appears this has happened before," the official added.
The Jalisco cartel, known by its initials as the CJNG, is famous for its ruthless treatment of supposed traitors, informants or turncoats. For those who have worked for the cartel, knowingly or unknowingly, it appears to be an unwritten rule that the only way out of the gang is death or prison.
An activist group for families of the disappeared, "Por Amor a Ellxs" - roughly, "For Love of Them" - said there are around 15,000 missing people in Jalisco, out of a total of about 112,000 nationwide.
Clandestine dumping grounds are often used by drug cartels to dispose of their victims. The lack of help from officials has left many family members to take up search efforts for their missing loved ones themselves, often forming volunteer search teams known as "colectivos."
Call centers are a major source of employment in Mexico for young people or migrants who may have learned English in the United States, but who have returned to Mexico.
The timeshare fraud came to light in April, when the U.S. Treasury Department announced sanctions against members or associates of the Jalisco New Generation cartel who apparently ran a similar operation in the Pacific coast resort of Puerto Vallarta, also located in Jalisco state, the gang's home turf.
Brian E. Nelson, the U.S. under secretary of the treasury for terrorism and financial intelligence, said in a statement in April that the "CJNG's deep involvement in timeshare fraud in the Puerto Vallarta area and elsewhere, which often targets elderly U.S. citizens and can defraud victims of their life savings, is an important revenue stream supporting the group's overall criminal enterprise."
The scammers contacted people seeking to sell timeshares in Puerto Vallarta properties.
In a 2023 alert, the FBI said sellers were contacted via email by scammers who said they had a buyer lined up, but the seller needed to pay taxes or other fees before the deal could go through. Apparently, once the money was paid, the deals evaporated.
The FBI report said that in 2022, the agency's Internet Crime Complaint Center "received over 600 complaints with losses of approximately $39.6 million from victims contacted by scammers regarding timeshares owned in Mexico."
Ryan Donner, a broker at Ryan Donner & Associates, a real estate firm in Puerto Vallarta, said his firm had been asked for assistance by two people over the last two years who were apparently targeted by the scam.
"It's infrequent, but yes, we have had it happen," said Donner, who was able to steer both people away from the scam before they paid any money.
Donner described the fraud as very sophisticated.
He said the scammers sent prospective sellers fake contracts and official-looking documents from the Mexican tax authority apparently saying taxes were due on the prospective sale.
"They have contracts, they have documents that appear to be official documents, it would be very easy to fall into the trap of paying them," Donner said.
"If a company contacts someone to say that they have a buyer for a property and all they need is money, that is a huge red flag for it being some sort of scam," Donner said. "That's not how companies usually work."
- In:
- Mexico
- Murder
- Cartel
veryGood! (2882)
Related
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Scientists find 1754 ballistics of first shots fired in French and Indian War
- See Jeremy Renner Walk on Anti-Gravity Treadmill Amid Recovery From Snowplow Accident
- Reese Witherspoon and Jim Toth Break Up: A Look Back at Their Family Moments
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- You'll Be Crazy in Love With Beyoncé's New Collab With Balmain
- How Russia's Wagner Group funds its role in Putin's Ukraine war by plundering Africa's resources
- Ulta 24-Hour Flash Sale: Take 50% Off MAC, Tula, Tarte, and Persona
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- 'Dark Brandon' meme makes an appearance on Biden's new campaign website
Ranking
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Ukraine's Zelenskyy to attend G7 summit as leaders discuss measures to starve Russian war machine
- Ice-T Reveals Whether He and Coco Austin Will Have Another Baby
- Robert Gates criticizes White House for being slow to approve weapons to Ukraine
- Meta donates $1 million to Trump’s inauguration fund
- Ariana Madix Shares Thoughts on Tom Sandoval and Raquel Leviss After VPR Reunion
- Alexis Ohanian Shares Rare Insight on Life With Special Serena Williams and Daughter Olympia
- Honey Boo Boo's Mama June Shannon Recalls Enduring Hard Times With Husband Justin Stroud
Recommendation
'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
Pennsylvania man convicted of torturing victim for 39 days, exporting weapons parts to Iraq
Rosalía and Rauw Alejandro Are Engaged: See Her Ring
Astronomers have some big gravitational wave news
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Check Out the Most Surprising Celeb Transformations of the Week
Chris Martin Says He Doesn't Eat Dinner Anymore After Being Influenced By Bruce Springsteen
The Bachelor's Caelynn Miller-Keyes Shares Travel Must-Haves and Packing Hacks