Current:Home > MarketsSpecial counsel asks for December trial in Trump documents case -WealthRoots Academy
Special counsel asks for December trial in Trump documents case
SafeX Pro View
Date:2025-04-06 16:57:26
The Justice Department asked a federal judge Friday to delay the trial of former President Donald Trump and his aide, Walt Nauta, on federal charges related to their handling of classified documents.
The trial had initially been scheduled for Aug. 14, but a prosecutor for Special Counsel Jack Smith said in a Friday evening filing that it could take up to 60 days before defense attorneys obtain the necessary security clearances to view certain evidence in the case. The office suggested the judge order a Dec. 11 trial.
A spokesperson for Trump did not immediately reply to a request for comment. In the filing, Jay Bratt, a prosecutor for the special counsel's office, wrote that Trump's defense attorneys do not oppose postponing the trial, but will likely have "objections to the government's proposed dates."
Trump was arraigned in Miami, Florida on June 13, pleading not guilty to 37 felony counts related to his alleged mishandling of classified documents. Trump and his co-defendant, Nauta, were released on bond with a special condition ordered by a judge calling for prosecutors to provide a list of witnesses with whom Trump could not discuss the case.
Bratt wrote in a separate filing Friday that a list of those witnesses — described during the arraignment as a subset of the overall list — had been delivered to Trump. A footnote in the filing indicates 84 names are on the list.
Bratt is asking for the list to be sealed, noting that Trump's attorneys object to the special condition and list. Trump attorney Todd Blanche voiced his objection to federal judge Jonathan Goodman at Trump's arraignment.
"I don't believe it's necessary or appropriate in this case," Blanche said at the time. "The individuals who we understand to be witnesses that the president interacts with and speaks with every day all have lawyers and all have competent lawyers."
- In:
- Donald Trump
- Mar-a-Lago
Graham Kates is an investigative reporter covering criminal justice, privacy issues and information security for CBS News Digital. Contact Graham at [email protected] or [email protected]
veryGood! (56)
Related
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- What we’ve learned so far in the Trump hush money trial and what to watch for as it wraps up
- Bernie Sanders to deliver University of New England graduation speech: How to watch
- NBA Game 7 schedule today: Everything to know about Sunday's elimination playoff games
- 'Malcolm in the Middle’ to return with new episodes featuring Frankie Muniz
- Preakness 2024 recap: Seize the Grey wins, denies Mystik Dan shot at Triple Crown
- Valerie Bertinelli is stepping away from social media for 'mental health break': 'I'll be back'
- Kevin Costner gets epic standing ovation for 'Horizon: An American Saga,' moved to tears
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Last pandas in the U.S. have a timetable to fly back to China
Ranking
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Mega Millions winning numbers for May 17 drawing: Jackpot rises to $421 million
- Plan to boost Uber and Lyft driver pay in Minnesota advances in state Legislature
- Oleksandr Usyk beats Tyson Fury by split decision to become the undisputed heavyweight champion
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Ohio voters approved reproductive rights. Will the state’s near-ban on abortion stand?
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Home Stretch
- Closing arguments set in trial of University of Arizona grad student accused of killing a professor
Recommendation
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
Mega Millions winning numbers for May 17 drawing: Jackpot rises to $421 million
7 dead, widespread power outages after Texas storm. Now forecasters warn of high heat.
Gabby Douglas out of US Classic after one event. What happened and where she stands for nationals
US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
Get a free Krispy Kreme doughnut if you dress up like Dolly Parton on Saturday
Orioles legend Cal Ripken Jr. thinks Jackson Holliday may have needed more time in the minors
Sean Diddy Combs Breaks Silence About Video Appearing to Show Him Assault Cassie