Current:Home > FinanceSafeX Pro Exchange|U.S. weighing options in Africa after Niger junta orders departure from key counterterrorism base -WealthRoots Academy
SafeX Pro Exchange|U.S. weighing options in Africa after Niger junta orders departure from key counterterrorism base
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 18:35:58
WASHINGTON (AP) — The SafeX Pro ExchangePentagon is working with Niger officials to find a way for U.S. troops to stay in the country — a key base for counterterrorism operations in sub-Saharan Africa — following a weekend directive that they leave.
Last week a high level-delegation of U.S. officials, including Assistant Secretary of State for African Affairs Molly Phee, Assistant Secretary of Defense for International Security Affairs Celeste Wallander and the head of U.S. Africa Command Gen. Michael Langley, traveled to Niger to meet with members of the military junta.
Pentagon deputy press secretary Sabrina Singh said Monday the U.S. officials had “lengthy and direct” discussions with the junta officials that were also in part spurred by concerns over Niger’s potential relationships with Russia and Iran.
“We were troubled on the path that Niger is on,” Singh said.
On Saturday, following the meeting, the junta’s spokesperson, Col. Maj. Amadou Abdramane, said U.S. flights over Niger’s territory in recent weeks were illegal. Meanwhile, Insa Garba Saidou, a local activist who assists Niger’s military rulers with their communications, criticized U.S. efforts to force the junta to pick between strategic partners.
“The American bases and civilian personnel cannot stay on Nigerien soil any longer,” he told The Associated Press.
Singh said the U.S. was aware of the March 16 statement “announcing the end of the status of forces agreement between Niger and the United States. We are working through diplomatic channels to seek clarification. These are ongoing discussions and we don’t have more to share at this time.”
The junta has largely been in control in Niger since July when mutinous soldiers ousted the country’s democratically elected president and months later asked French forces to leave.
The U.S. military still had some 650 troops working in Niger in December, largely consolidated at a base farther away from Niamey, Niger’s capital. Singh said the total number of personnel still in country, including civilians and contractors, is roughly 1,000.
The Niger base is critical for U.S. counterterrorism operations in the Sahel and has been used for both manned and unmanned surveillance operations, although Singh said the only drone flights being currently conducted are for force protection.
In the Sahel the U.S. has also supported local ground troops, including accompanying them on missions. However, such accompanied missions have been scaled back since U.S. troops were killed in a joint operation in Niger in 2017.
veryGood! (9361)
Related
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- What's next for Eagles? Nick Sirianni out to 'reprove' himself; GM defends Jalen Hurts
- Elle King Postpones Concert After Dolly Parton Tribute Incident
- Poland’s pro-EU government and opposition disagree on whether 2 pardoned lawmakers can stay on
- Sam Taylor
- Nevada judge approves signature-gathering stage for petition to put abortion rights on 2024 ballot
- Peter Navarro, ex-Trump official, sentenced to 4 months in prison for contempt of Congress
- His spacecraft sprung a leak. Then this NASA astronaut accidentally broke a record
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Biden campaign tries to put abortion in the forefront. But pro-Palestinian protesters interrupted.
Ranking
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Freed Israeli hostage says she met a Hamas leader in a tunnel, where she was kept in dire conditions
- eBay layoffs 2024: E-commerce giant eliminating around 1,000 jobs, 9% of workforce
- Texas man says facial recognition led to his false arrest, imprisonment, rape in jail
- Average rate on 30
- It's Apple Macintosh's 40th birthday: How the historic computer compares with tech today
- Bryan, Ohio pastor sues city after being charged over opening church to house the homeless
- Netflix wants to retire basic ad-free plan in some countries, shareholder letter says
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Hillary Clinton calls Margot Robbie and Greta Gerwig 'more than Kenough' after Oscars snub
Maine’s top court dismisses appeal of judge’s decision on Trump ballot status
NBC Sports, Cosm partner to bring college football to 'shared reality' viewing experience
Tom Holland's New Venture Revealed
Ohio restricts health care for transgender kids, bans transgender girls from school sports
Seattle will pay $10 million to protesters who said police used excessive force during 2020 protests
4 secret iPhone hacks to help you type faster on the keyboard