Current:Home > MyArmy veteran shot, killed in California doing yard work at home, 4 people charged: Police -WealthRoots Academy
Army veteran shot, killed in California doing yard work at home, 4 people charged: Police
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 03:12:43
Community members are mourning the loss of a U.S. Army veteran who was killed at his own home in California while doing yard work. Four people have been charged in connection to his death.
Mario Morales-Moreno, 51, was killed on April 4 at his Long Beach home, the Long Beach Police Department wrote in a news release the day after he was killed.
Someone called officers at 6:44 p.m. that day about a shooting. When officers arrived, they found a man suffering from gunshot wounds to his lower body. The Long Beach Fire Department also showed up and took him to a local hospital, where he was initially listed as being in stable condition.
A second man, Morales-Moreno, was at the scene suffering from a gunshot wound to his upper body and the fire department pronounced him dead at the scene.
Once homicide detectives showed up, they found that suspects fired numerous rounds at both victims. They don’t think Morales-Moreno was the intended target.
More news:Former cop urges Supreme Court to throw out Jan. 6 charge wielded against Donald Trump
Four suspects detained, charged
While at the scene, officers detained three males in the area. One of the suspects, 20-year-old Taylor Byron Woods, was booked for one count of murder and had a firearm the night of the shooting, police said in a news release on April 5.
Long Beach Police Department Chief of Police Wally Hebeish announced Wednesday that in addition to Woods, three other suspects have been arrested in the shooting death of Morales-Moreno.
Police submitted their information to the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office for filing and by Thursday, the office announced charges had been filed against the four individuals for Morales-Moreno’s death and the attempted murder of four other people in Long Beach.
“Mr. Morales-Moreno, an Army veteran and a father of two, had his life senselessly taken too soon, and four other victims are left coping with the aftermath of this violence,” Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascón said about the case. “Our office will work to hold these defendants responsible for their alleged actions and bring justice to all who have been affected by these crimes.”
Each individual was charged with one count of murder, four counts of attempted murder and one count of conspiracy to commit a crime, the district attorney’s office said Thursday.
The office said each defendant is accused of shooting at four other individuals. One of the victims suffered non-life threatening injuries.
Altogether, those arrested include:
- Jordan Omarion Stokes, 18
- Taylor Byron Woods, 20
- Tyrell DeShawn Louden Jr., 20
- Semaj Lamar O’Brien, 21
Suspects could face life in prison if convicted, officials condemn gang violence
The district attorney’s office also said Thursday that “the murder was committed willfully, deliberately and with premeditation” and “Stokes and Louden Jr., personally used a handgun.”
All four arrested will be arraigned April 25 at the Long Beach Courthouse. They are all being held on $8 million bail.
If convicted, they will face life in prison.
Long Beach Mayor Rex Richardson said this week that “gang violence has no place in our community and must be condemned in the strongest terms possible.”
Chief of Police Wally Hebeish also condemned the violence this week.
“Gang-related violence has no place in any part of our city, and this callous criminal act has forever changed the lives of Mr. Moreno’s family,” he said Wednesday. “The tireless investigative work and arrests of these suspects again demonstrates the commitment of our personnel to hold violent individuals accountable and take dangerous firearms out of their hands.”
'He is well loved by his neighbors': Community remembers Army veteran
One of Morales-Moreno’s neighbors shared an online fundraiser to help his family in a Facebook post and said he was a disabled Army veteran and a senior code enforcement officer.
“He was a few years away from retiring at 55," wrote the neighbor and Facebook user. “He is survived by his wife, son and daughter. He is well loved by his neighbors.”
A person who identified themselves as a friend and neighbor of Morales-Moreno stated in a description for the fundraiser that "Mario was a fixture in our North Long Beach neighborhood, always looking out for others and helping anyone in need. He welcomed others into his home and was proud of his home improvements and beautiful yard."
Saleen Martin is a reporter on USA TODAY's NOW team. She is from Norfolk, Virginia – the 757. Follow her on Twitter at@SaleenMartin or email her at[email protected].
veryGood! (11)
Related
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Suzanne Somers remembered during 'Step by Step' reunion at 90s Con: 'We really miss her'
- Astronaut Thomas Stafford, commander of Apollo 10, has died at age 93
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Front Runners
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Supreme Court extends block on Texas law that would allow police to arrest migrants
- Stock market today: Asian shares are mixed after Bank of Japan ups key rate for 1st time in 17 years
- Former Vice President Mike Pence calls Trump's Jan. 6 hostage rhetoric unacceptable
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- It's 2024 and I'm sick of silly TV shows about politics.
Ranking
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- The April 8 solar eclipse could impact power. Here's why.
- U.S. weighing options in Africa after Niger junta orders departure from key counterterrorism base
- Inside RHOM Star Nicole Martin’s Luxurious Baby Shower Planned by Costar Guerdy Abraira
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Experimental plane crashes in Arizona, killing 1 and seriously injuring another
- Supreme Court chief justice denies ex-Trump aide Peter Navarro’s bid to stave off prison sentence
- The Daily Money: Has the Great Resignation fizzled out?
Recommendation
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Why Bella Hadid's Morning Wellness Routine Is Raising Eyebrows
Bettors counting on upsets as they put money on long shots this March Madness
Petrochemicals Are Killing Us, a New Report Warns in the New England Journal of Medicine
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Sports Illustrated gets new life, publishing deal takes effect immediately
Pink Shares Hilarious Glimpse at Family Life With Kids Willow and Jameson
A North Dakota woman is sentenced to life in prison without parole for 2022 killing of ex-boyfriend