Current:Home > NewsWalmart says it has stopped advertising on Elon Musk's X platform -WealthRoots Academy
Walmart says it has stopped advertising on Elon Musk's X platform
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 03:18:35
Walmart said Friday that it is scaling back its advertising on X, the social media company formerly known as Twitter, because "we've found some other platforms better for reaching our customers."
Walmart's decision has been in the works for a while, according to a person familiar with the move. Yet it comes as X faces an advertiser exodus following billionaire owner Elon Musk's support for an antisemitic post on the platform.
The retailer spends about $2.7 billion on advertising each year, according to MarketingDive. In an email to CBS MoneyWatch, X's head of operations, Joe Benarroch, said Walmart still has a large presence on X. He added that the company stopped advertising on X in October, "so this is not a recent pausing."
"Walmart has a wonderful community of more than a million people on X, and with a half a billion people on X, every year the platform experiences 15 billion impressions about the holidays alone with more than 50% of X users doing most or all of their shopping online," Benarroch said.
Musk struck a defiant pose earlier this week at the New York Times' Dealbook Summit, where he cursed out advertisers that had distanced themselves from X, telling them to "go f--- yourself." He also complained that companies are trying to "blackmail me with advertising" by cutting off their spending with the platform, and cautioned that the loss of big advertisers could "kill" X.
"And the whole world will know that those advertisers killed the company," Musk added.
Dozens of advertisers — including players such as Apple, Coca Cola and Disney — have bailed on X since Musk tweeted that a post on the platform that claimed Jews fomented hatred against White people, echoing antisemitic stereotypes, was "the actual truth."
Advertisers generally shy away from placing their brands and marketing messages next to controversial material, for fear that their image with consumers could get tarnished by incendiary content.
The loss of major advertisers could deprive X of up to $75 million in revenue, according to a New York Times report.
Musk said Wednesday his support of the antisemitic post was "one of the most foolish" he'd ever posted on X.
"I am quite sorry," he said, adding "I should in retrospect not have replied to that particular post."
- In:
- Elon Musk
- Walmart
Aimee Picchi is the associate managing editor for CBS MoneyWatch, where she covers business and personal finance. She previously worked at Bloomberg News and has written for national news outlets including USA Today and Consumer Reports.
TwitterveryGood! (3474)
Related
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Man sentenced to 25 years for teaching bomb-making to person targeting authorities
- The 77 Best Memorial Day 2024 Fashion Deals: J.Crew, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Michael Kors, Gap & More
- Sean “Diddy” Combs Accused of Sexual Assault by 6th Woman in New York Lawsuit
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Southwest Airlines flights will appear in Google Flights results
- Over 100,000 in Texas without power due to severe thunderstorms, tornadoes: See map
- Manatee County sheriff’s deputy injured in shooting
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- More books are being adapted into graphic novels. Here's why that’s a good thing.
Ranking
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- With Paris Olympics looming, new coach Emma Hayes brings the swagger back to USWNT
- Beauty Queen Killer Christopher Wilder's Survivor Tina Marie Risico Speaks Out 40 Years Later
- Missouri lawmaker says his daughter and her husband were killed in Haiti while working as missionaries
- Grammy nominee Teddy Swims on love, growth and embracing change
- Workers at Georgia school bus maker Blue Bird approve their first union contract
- Migrant crossings at U.S.-Mexico border plunge 54% from record highs, internal figures show
- Ravens, still bitter over AFC title-game loss vs. Chiefs, will let it fuel 2024 season
Recommendation
Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
Oilers' Connor McDavid beats Stars in double overtime after being robbed in first OT
As Trump’s hush-money trial nears an end, some would-be spectators camp out for days to get inside
American Airlines drops law firm that said a 9-year-old girl should have seen camera on toilet seat
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
11-year-old graduates California junior college, has one piece of advice: 'Never give up'
Pronouns and tribal affiliations are now forbidden in South Dakota public university employee emails
Why King Charles III, Prince William and the Royal Family Are Postponing Public Engagements