Current:Home > FinanceFastexy Exchange|Judge acquits 2 Chicago police officers of charges stemming from shooting of unarmed man -WealthRoots Academy
Fastexy Exchange|Judge acquits 2 Chicago police officers of charges stemming from shooting of unarmed man
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 17:07:35
CHICAGO (AP) — Two Chicago police officers accused of shooting an unarmed man and Fastexy Exchangethen lying about it were acquitted by a judge Thursday.
Sgt. Christopher Liakopoulos and Officer Ruben Reynoso were within their rights to protect themselves when they opened fire, wounding 23-year-old Miguel Medina twice on July 22, 2022, Cook County Judge Lawrence Flood ruled.
“The officers were not the aggressors,” Flood said, stating it was Medina and a juvenile who approached the their vehicle.
“I find both officers acted within reason in firing their weapons under these particular circumstances,” the judge said following a two-day bench trial.
The courtroom gallery packed with officers, police union officials and other supporters of Liakopoulos and Reynoso burst into applause at the verdict.
Liakopoulos and Reynoso had each been charged with aggravated battery with a firearm, aggravated discharge of a firearm and official misconduct.
Prosecutors had argued during the trial that the officers provoked a provoked a gunfight with the teen, who was armed, and then shot and wounded Medina.
The officers said they came under fire and shot Medina in self-defense, but no gun was found near him. The officers said Medina and the teen fired first, but surveillance footage contradicted their account, and the Cook County State Attorney’s Office found the officers had fired first.
Medina testified that he thought the unmarked police car contained gang members, so he put his hands up to show he was unarmed. He held a cellphone and wine bottle in one hand, and the other was empty.
“As the victim and juvenile approached the vehicle, the juvenile held onto the firearm,” Assistant Cook County State’s Attorney Alyssa Janicki said. “The victim was unarmed.”
As the armed teen ran off, officers fired shots from the car, and Medina was struck.
The teen then fired, but neither officer was hit.
Defense attorney Tim Grace, said during opening arguments that the officers “were faced with a deadly threat, and their actions were a reasonable use of deadly force.”
Medina was shot three times, including twice in the back, according to Gregory Kiki, his attorney.
The officers were headed to training at the police academy at the time of the shooting.
veryGood! (47)
Related
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- List of winners so far at the 2024 Oscars
- Horoscopes Today, March 9, 2024
- Georgia readies to resume executions after a 4-year pause brought by COVID and a legal agreement
- 'Kraven the Hunter' spoilers! Let's dig into that twisty ending, supervillain reveal
- ‘Oppenheimer’ crew keeps it low key, other winners revel at Vanity Fair’s Oscar after-party
- In New York City, heat pumps that fit in apartment windows promise big emissions cuts
- Did Monica Sementilli conspire with the man she was having an affair with to murder her husband?
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- How John Cena Pulled Off Naked Look at 2024 Oscars
Ranking
- Warm inflation data keep S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq under wraps before Fed meeting next week
- 50-foot sperm whale beached on sandbar off coast of Venice, Florida
- At 83, filmmaker Hayao Miyazaki earns historic Oscar for ‘The Boy and the Heron’
- George Soros’ Open Society Foundations name new president after years of layoffs and transition
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Selma Blair Rocks Bra Top During 2024 Oscars Party Outing Amid Multiple Sclerosis Battle
- How a Chinese citizen allegedly absconded with a trove of Google's confidential AI files
- Andrea Bocelli and son Matteo release stirring Oscars version of 'Time to Say Goodbye'
Recommendation
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Monica Sementilli says she did not help plan the murder of her L.A. beauty exec husband. Will a jury believe her?
Jimmy Kimmel fires back after Trump slams 'boring' Oscars: 'Isn't it past your jail time?'
Emma Stone and Husband Dave McCary Share Kiss at Oscars Party in Rare PDA Moment
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Royal Expert Omid Scobie Weighs in On Kate Middleton Photo Controversy
How a Chinese citizen allegedly absconded with a trove of Google's confidential AI files
Who won best picture at the Oscars? Al Pacino's announcement sparks confusion