Current:Home > Contact'I know how to do math': New Red Lobster CEO says endless shrimp deal is not coming back -WealthRoots Academy
'I know how to do math': New Red Lobster CEO says endless shrimp deal is not coming back
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 00:30:35
Shrimp lovers will notice a key item missing from Red Lobster's new menu.
In an interview with TODAY that aired Monday, CEO Damola Adamolekun announced that the seafood chain's revamped menu will include nine new items from a lobster bisque to bacon-wrapped sea scallops. However, he confirmed that the $20 endless shrimp deal has ended permanently.
"Relevant, compelling and exciting is what we want Red Lobster to be for the future, and so we’re working on that now," Adamolekun told TODAY.
Last year the seafood chain made all-you-can-eat shrimp a permanent menu item after two decades of offering it for a limited time. The decision, made by former Red Lobster CEO Paul Kenny, cost $11 million and saddled the company "with burdensome supply obligations" subsequent CEO Jonathan Tibus said in a May bankruptcy filing.
While teasing the possibility of the controversial item's return, current CEO Adamolekun decided against it, explaining that it's "because I know how to do math."
What are the new items?
Red Lobster's revamped menu includes nine new items, which have not all been revealed, Adamolekun said.
He teased following nine items:
- Hush puppies
- Bacon-wrapped sea scallops
- Lobster bisque
- Lobster pappardelle pasta
- Grilled mahi
- Parmesan-crusted chicken
"I expect a stampede into our restaurants because we’re bringing back the hush puppies," Adamolekun said, referring the item discontinued in recent years. "I stopped going to Red Lobster because they stopped the hush puppies. Since I was in college I love the hush puppies. I’m glad they’re back."
What has Red Lobster CEO previously said about ‘endless shrimp’?
Adamolekun has "always felt dubious" about the seafood chain’s decision to offer a $20 endless shrimp deal to its customers, sharing in an October interview with CNN that shrimp was a “very expensive product to give away endlessly.”
Red Lobster decided to make the deal a permanent offering last year, nearly 20 years after they only served it seasonally and for a limited time. The decision, according to Adamolekun, caused “chaos” at locations nationwide.
"You stress out the kitchen. You stress out the servers. You stress out the host. People can’t get a table," Adamolekun told CNN.
Adamolekun said in October he would consider bringing the deal back but made no promises, citing profit concerns.
“I never want to say never, but certainly not the way that it was done," he added. "We won’t have it in a way that’s losing money in that fashion and isn’t managed."
Who is the new CEO of Red Lobster
Damola Adamolekun was brought on to be the new Red Lobster CEO in August.
The Nigeria native joins the company after previous corporate experience as P.F. Chang’s CEO and Chief Strategy Officer, as well as partner at the New York investment firm Paulson & Co.
Contributing: Jonathan Limehouse and Amaris Encinas
veryGood! (43343)
Related
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Infectious bird flu survived milk pasteurization in lab tests, study finds. Here's what to know.
- History buff inadvertently buys books of Chinese military secrets for less than $1, official says
- R.E.M. discusses band's breakup, friendship and Songwriters Hall of Fame honor
- Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
- Mike Tyson uses non-traditional health treatments that lack FDA approval
- Revolve Sale Finds Under $60: Up to 82% Off Must-Have Styles From Nike, AllSaints & More
- What we know about the fight between conspiracist Alex Jones and Sandy Hook families over his assets
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Biggest NBA Finals blowouts: Where Mavericks' Game 4 demolition of Celtics ranks
Ranking
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- Matt Damon's Daughter Isabella Reveals College Plans After High School Graduation
- Reese Witherspoon Debuts Jaw-Dropping Nicole Kidman Impression While Honoring Her
- How Elon Musk’s $44.9B Tesla pay package compares with the most generous plans for other U.S. CEOs
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Letter Openers
- U.N. official says he saw Israeli troops kill 2 Palestinians fishing off Gaza coast
- Pregnant Francesca Farago Reveals How Snapchat Saved Her Babies' Lives
Recommendation
New Mexico governor seeks funding to recycle fracking water, expand preschool, treat mental health
Was this Tiger Woods' last US Open? Legend uncertain about future after missing cut
2 killed and several wounded in shooting during a Juneteenth celebration in a Texas park
NY governor’s subway mask ban proposal sparks debate over right to anonymous protest
Average rate on 30
Joe Alwyn Breaks Silence on Taylor Swift Breakup
2 killed and several wounded in shooting during a Juneteenth celebration in a Texas park
From chickens to foxes, here's how bird flu is spreading across the US