Current:Home > MarketsFederal judge rules protesters can’t march through Republican National Convention security zone -WealthRoots Academy
Federal judge rules protesters can’t march through Republican National Convention security zone
NovaQuant View
Date:2025-04-06 23:25:11
MADISON, Wis . (AP) — A federal judge ruled Monday that protesters can’t march through a security zone at the Republican National Convention, handing a defeat to liberals who had pushed to have closer access to where delegates will be gathering next week in Milwaukee.
The American Civil Liberties Union and the Coalition to March on the RNC 2024 filed a lawsuit last month against the city of Milwaukee, alleging that the city’s plans for protesters violated their free speech rights. They had asked the judge to order that the city design a protest parade route that is within sight and hearing of the Fiserv Forum where thousands of Republicans will be gathering starting Monday to nominate Donald Trump for president.
U.S. District Judge Brett Ludwig said in his order that protesters have a right to march in protest of the RNC, “but the First Amendment does not allow them to protest or parade in any way they choose.”
Ludwig said that Milwaukee city officials and the U.S. Secret Service have worked to balance protesters’ right to express themselves and “legitimate security and other governmental interests.”
“The vast majority of the resulting security plan is a reasonable and valid time, place, and manner regulation on speech,” the judge said in denying the protesters’ request for closer access to the convention site.
What to know about the 2024 Election
- Democracy: American democracy has overcome big stress tests since 2020. More challenges lie ahead in 2024.
- AP’s Role: The Associated Press is the most trusted source of information on election night, with a history of accuracy dating to 1848. Learn more.
- Read the latest: Follow AP’s complete coverage of this year’s election.
The judge sided with the ACLU on one issue, ruling that the city and the Commissioner of Public Works Jerrel Kruschke could not approve speaker and demonstration applications on the basis of an applicant’s criminal history.
Ludwig said the city “overstepped their authority in reserving their ability to deny protest permits based on” a past criminal conviction.
Both sides have until Wednesday if they wish to pursue other legal options.
Omar Flores, chairman of the March on the RNC Coalition, declined to comment on the ruling before the group holds a news conference Tuesday afternoon.
Protesters have complained that the city is keeping them too far away from the convention site, which is inside a security perimeter where credentials are required to gain access. Protesters have wanted to march inside that security zone. However, the security plan establishes a parade route about five blocks from the arena, with a stage for speakers within the route.
veryGood! (362)
Related
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- Billie Eilish announces details of third album, 'Hit Me Hard and Soft'
- Suki Waterhouse Embraces Her Postpartum Body With Refreshing Message
- Charlotte Hornets to interview G League's Lindsey Harding for head coach job, per report
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- AP PHOTOS: Total solar eclipse sweeps across North America
- Great hair day: Gene Keady showed Purdue basketball spirit in his hair for Final Four
- U.S. is pushing China to change a policy threatening American jobs, Treasury Secretary Yellen says
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- Las Vegas Aces WNBA team gets bigger venue for game Caitlin Clark is anticipated to play in
Ranking
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- The 2024 total solar eclipse captivates America: See stunning photos of the rare event
- Look up, then look down: After the solar eclipse, a double brood of cicadas will emerge
- New Jersey county prosecutor resigns amid misconduct probe, denies any wrongdoing
- NFL Week 15 picks straight up and against spread: Bills, Lions put No. 1 seed hopes on line
- New York RFK Jr. campaign official suggests he's a spoiler who can help Trump win
- Towboat owner gets probation in 2018 river oil spill along West Virginia-Kentucky border
- Truck driver fatally shot in confrontation with police officer in Michigan
Recommendation
Nearly half of US teens are online ‘constantly,’ Pew report finds
New Mexico Supreme Court upholds 2 murder convictions of man in 2009 double homicide case
Georgia prosecutor promises charges against driver who ran over 4-year-old girl after police decline
Missouri death row inmate nears execution with appeals before Supreme Court
San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
Under $200 Spring Wedding Dresses That Will Make You The Best-Dressed Guest
Powerball drawing delayed with $1.3 billion jackpot on the line
Tennessee lawmakers seek to require parental permission before children join social media