Current:Home > reviewsJohnathan Walker:Alabama man pleads guilty to threatening Georgia prosecutor and sheriff over Trump election case -WealthRoots Academy
Johnathan Walker:Alabama man pleads guilty to threatening Georgia prosecutor and sheriff over Trump election case
Charles H. Sloan View
Date:2025-04-07 00:52:27
ATLANTA (AP) — An Alabama man pleaded guilty Tuesday to leaving threatening phone messages for Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis and Johnathan Walkerthe county sheriff last summer because he was angry over the election-interference investigation into former President Donald Trump.
Arthur Ray Hanson II made the phone calls just over a week before Trump and 18 others were indicted in Fulton County on Aug. 14.
Hanson of Huntsville, Alabama, told a federal judge at his plea hearing Tuesday that he never meant harm to Willis, whose office is prosecuting Trump and the others, or to Sheriff Patrick Labat, whose staff booked the former president at the Fulton County jail and took his mug shot.
“I made a stupid phone call,” Hanson said in court. “I’m not a violent person.”
He will be sentenced at a later date, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported. Assistant U.S. Attorney Bret Hobson told the judge that prosecutors will seek leniency for Hanson because he took responsibility for his actions.
At the plea hearing, Hanson admitted to calling a Fulton County government customer service line on Aug. 6 and leaving voicemails for the prosecutor and the sheriff.
In one message, Hanson warned Willis: “When you charge Trump on that fourth indictment, anytime you’re alone, be looking over your shoulder.”
His message for Labat warned of consequences for taking a jail booking photo of Trump.
“If you take a mug shot of the president and you’re the reason it happened, some bad (expletive)’s gonna happen to you,” the voice message said, according to court records.
The indictment obtained by Willis’ office alleged a wide-ranging scheme by Trump and others to overturn the 2020 election results in Georgia. It was the fourth criminal case brought against the former president in a matter of months and had been widely anticipated.
The sheriff commented publicly beforehand that anyone indicted in the case would be booked according to normal procedures, including having a jail mug shot taken.
A federal grand jury indicted Hanson in October on charges of making interstate threats via phone.
Hanson told U.S. Magistrate Regina Cannon on Tuesday that he was angered by the investigation of Trump and made the phone calls hoping authorities would back down.
“I didn’t knowingly know I was threatening anybody,” he told the judge. “To me, it was a warning.”
veryGood! (4)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Offense has issues, Quinnen Williams wreaks havoc in latest 'Hard Knocks' with Jets
- Election workers who face frequent harassment see accountability in the latest Georgia charges
- The Taliban believe their rule is open-ended and don’t plan to lift the ban on female education
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard React to Critics Claiming They Lied About Being Stranded at Airport
- Heat bakes Pacific Northwest and continues in the South, Louisiana declares emergency
- Student shot during fight at Georgia high school, sheriff says
- This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
- Step up Your Footwear and Save 46% On Hoka Sneakers Before These Deals Sell Out
Ranking
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Lahaina in pictures: Before and after the devastating Maui wildfires
- More than 800,000 student loan borrowers are getting billions of dollars in debt forgiveness this week
- When does pumpkin spice season start? It already has at Dunkin', Krispy Kreme and 7-Eleven
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Evacuations ordered as Northern California fire roars through forest near site of 2022 deadly blaze
- Trump, co-defendants in Georgia election case expected to be booked in Fulton County jail, sheriff says
- Why Backstreet Boys' AJ McLean Separates His Persona From His Real Self as Alex
Recommendation
Could your smelly farts help science?
'The Blind Side' subject Michael Oher is suing the Tuohy family. Many know the pain of family wounds.
Leonard Bernstein's Kids Defend Bradley Cooper Amid Criticism Over Prosthetic Nose in Maestro
Man sentenced to 11 years for sexual assault of girl during remote-learning class
Most popular books of the week: See what topped USA TODAY's bestselling books list
Lionel Messi, Inter Miami cruise past Philadelphia Union, reach Leagues Cup final
The CDC works to overhaul lab operations after COVID test flop
Blind Side family accuses Michael Oher of shakedown try