Current:Home > InvestSignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Honolulu tentatively agrees to $7 million settlement with remaining Makaha crash victim -WealthRoots Academy
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center:Honolulu tentatively agrees to $7 million settlement with remaining Makaha crash victim
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 23:21:59
HONOLULU (AP) — Honolulu has tentatively agreed to a $7 million settlement with a 17-year-old boy who was riding in the back seat of a Honda Civic when it crashed following a high-speed police pursuit in Makaha in 2021.
The SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Centersettlement agreement, which was reached last week, is pending approval by the Honolulu City Council.
The lawsuit was filed in 2021 on behalf of Dayten Gouveia, who was 14 at the time of the crash that left him partially paralyzed. He is the last of the crash victims to settle with the city. His lawyer, Eric Seitz, said he will drop a federal lawsuit he filed in September accusing city officials of stalling.
In February, the City Council approved a $12.5 million settlement for the driver of the Honda Civic, Jonaven Perkins-Sinapati. It is the largest police-related settlement in city history.
Honolulu police arrested Perkins-Sinapati on May 4 on gun and drug charges. He was later forced to forfeit $750,000 bail after he failed to appear for an arraignment on May 20. He is now being held at the Oahu Community Correctional Center on $1 million bail, according to court records.
Perkins-Sinapati’s lawyer, Michael Green, did not respond to a request for comment.
The city settled with four other passengers of the Honda Civic for $4.5 million last year. All were critically injured.
Seitz said he was upset by how the city handled his client’s case and how long it took them to offer a settlement given how much they were willing to grant Perkins-Sinapati.
“The settlement is for far less than what the case really should’ve been settled for,” he said.
Honolulu spokesman Scott Humber said in a statement the city would not comment on the settlement agreement until the City Council had a chance to review the offer.
Seitz said the civil trial kept getting pushed off due to delays in the criminal case for the officers involved in the crash. He said he advised Gouveia’s family to accept the offer so that they could pay for some of the expensive medical care he requires, which includes intensive physical and occupational therapy.
“That was the best we could do,” he said. “I don’t like being put in that position. I feel that the city’s handling of this case was simply atrocious.”
The officers — Joshua Nahulu, Erik Smith, Jake Bartolome and Robert Lewis — had all been scheduled to stand trial June 3. It has been continued to Oct. 7.
Nahulu is charged with a collision involving death or serious injury. Smith, Bartolome and Lewis face counts of hindering prosecution and criminal conspiracy. All have pleaded not guilty.
HPD fired Nahulu, Smith and Bartolome in February, but all have filed grievances with the department. Lewis is still employed but was suspended for three days last year.
Seitz said he will continue to pursue claims against Perkins-Sinapati and his then-girlfriend, Brittany Miyatake, who owned the Honda Civic. Both are named as defendants in the original lawsuit Seitz filed against the city.
“He was an active participant in all of this,” Seitz said. “He could have stopped his car at any time. My client was merely a passenger.”
A trial in the civil case is set for May 26, 2025.
___
This story was originally published by Honolulu Civil Beat and distributed through a partnership with The Associated Press.
veryGood! (299)
Related
- Moving abroad can be expensive: These 5 countries will 'pay' you to move there
- 5 YA books this winter dealing with identity and overcoming hardships
- Harvey Weinstein will likely spend the rest of his life in prison after LA sentence
- Why I'm running away to join the circus (really)
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- '80 for Brady' assembles screen legends to celebrate [checks notes] Tom Brady
- A daytime TV departure: Ryan Seacrest is leaving 'Live with Kelly and Ryan'
- In India, couples begin their legal battle for same-sex marriage
- North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
- 'We Should Not Be Friends' offers a rare view of male friendship
Ranking
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- New MLK statue in Boston is greeted with a mix of open arms, consternation and laughs
- 2023 Oscars Guide: Original Song
- 'Black on Black' celebrates Black culture while exploring history and racial tension
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- My wife and I quit our jobs to sail the Caribbean
- 'Laverne & Shirley' actor Cindy Williams dies at 75
- Hot and kinda bothered by 'Magic Mike'; plus Penn Badgley on bad boys
Recommendation
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
How should we be 'Living'? Kurosawa and Ishiguro tackle the question, 70 years apart
The 2022 Oscars' best original song nominees, cruelly ranked
Want to understand the U.S.? This historian says the South holds the key
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
San Francisco Chinatown seniors welcome in the Lunar New Year with rap
'Wait Wait' for Feb. 4, 2023: With Not My Job guest Billy Porter
Classic rock guitar virtuoso Jeff Beck dies at 78