Current:Home > NewsEx-Washington state newspaper editor pleads not guilty to paying girls for sexually explicit images -WealthRoots Academy
Ex-Washington state newspaper editor pleads not guilty to paying girls for sexually explicit images
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-06 22:11:27
SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) — A former Spokesman-Review newspaper editor arrested and accused of paying girls for sexually explicit images pleaded not guilty on Tuesday to nearly a dozen charges.
Steven Smith, 73, pleaded not guilty to 11 counts of possession of depictions of a minor engaged in sexually explicit conduct, KHQ-TV reported. He has remained in Spokane County Jail on a $25,000 bail since his arrest on July 20.
Smith was executive editor of The Spokesman-Review in Spokane, Washington, from 2002 to 2008.
An account in Smith’s name for a mobile cash payment service was linked to an investigation into children using social media to send sexually explicit photos of themselves in exchange for money sent to them via the app, according to court documents.
The victims, 10-to-14-year-old girls, sent images to an Instagram account and received money through a cash app account. Internet activity of those accounts was traced to Smith’s Spokane home, the documents said.
Chat conversations showed Smith was aware of the victims’ ages, the documents said.
Smith was downloading more of the images when investigators searched his home in July, the documents said. When a detective asked if he knew why they were there he replied, “yes, it’s probably from what I have been downloading,” according to documents.
Smith taught journalism ethics at the University of Idaho after leaving the Spokesman-Review. He retired in 2020.
The nonprofit news organization FāVS News, which has employed Smith as a columnist since 2020 and recently named him managing editor, said after his arrest that he had been suspended indefinitely. That message remained at the top of the new organization’s website on Tuesday.
Authorities found dozens of videos showing child pornography were sent to the account between April of 2022 and January of 2023. At the time the videos were sent, the victims were between 10 and 14 years old.
Robert Hammer, a spokesperson for HSI, said these types of sextortion cases emphasize the importance of parents keeping their children informed about the dangers that lurk on social media.
“We as a society, we as law enforcement are taking steps, but we need parents as well to take an active role in having tough conversations with their parents on the dangers that exist out there,” Hammer said.
Hammer said these cases have risen in recent years, and they’re contributing to a rise in mental health issues and suicide among children.
veryGood! (55312)
Related
- Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
- Obamas’ personal chef drowns near family’s home on Martha’s Vineyard
- Jennifer Lawrence Sets the Record Straight on Liam Hemsworth, Miley Cyrus Cheating Rumors
- Legal dispute facing Texan ‘Sassy Trucker’ in Dubai shows the limits of speech in UAE
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Total Accused of Campaign to Play Down Climate Risk From Fossil Fuels
- Biden wants Congress to boost penalties for executives when midsize banks fail
- Shoppers Praise This Tarte Sculpting Wand for “Taking 10 Years Off” Their Face and It’s 55% Off Right Now
- Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
- A timeline of the Carlee Russell case: What happened to the Alabama woman who disappeared for 2 days?
Ranking
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Two Lakes, Two Streams and a Marsh Filed a Lawsuit in Florida to Stop a Developer From Filling in Wetlands. A Judge Just Threw it Out of Court
- As Passover nears, New York's AG warns Jewish customers about car wash price gouging
- Concerns Linger Over a Secretive Texas Company That Owns the Largest Share of the Trans-Alaska Pipeline
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Can the World’s Most Polluting Heavy Industries Decarbonize?
- Locals look for silver linings as Amazon hits pause on its new HQ
- Biggest “Direct Air Capture” Plant Starts Pulling in Carbon, But Involves a Fraction of the Gas in the Atmosphere
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
Why Kim Kardashian Isn't Ready to Talk to Her Kids About Being Upset With Kanye West
Get a Next-Level Clean and Save 58% On This Water Flosser With 4,200+ 5-Star Amazon Reviews
Ray Lewis' Son Ray Lewis III Laid to Rest in Private Funeral
Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
From searing heat's climbing death toll to storms' raging floodwaters, extreme summer weather not letting up
Inside Clean Energy: The Coast-to-Coast Battle Over Rooftop Solar
Stanford University president to resign following research controversy