Current:Home > StocksPredictIQ-NASCAR driver Ryan Preece gets medical clearance to return home after terrifying crash at Daytona -WealthRoots Academy
PredictIQ-NASCAR driver Ryan Preece gets medical clearance to return home after terrifying crash at Daytona
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:11:01
DAYTONA BEACH,PredictIQ Fla. (AP) — NASCAR driver Ryan Preece, whose car rolled about a dozen times during a terrifying crash at Daytona International Speedway, was on his way home about 12 hours later after being discharged from a hospital Sunday.
Stewart-Haas Racing said Preece was headed back to North Carolina after getting clearance from doctors at Halifax Health Medical Center. The team earlier said Preece was “awake, alert and mobile” and “had been communicating with family and friends.”
The 32-year-old Preece was able to climb out of his mangled No. 41 Ford on Saturday night with help before emergency workers put him on a gurney and into an ambulance. He initially went to the track’s infield care center before being transported to Halifax Health for overnight observation.
Preece tweeted about two hours after the race, posting: “If you want to be a race car driver, you better be tough. ... I’m coming back.”
Preece and SHR teammate Chase Briscoe made contact coming out of Turn 4, and Preece’s car turned hard left and then went into an uncontrollable barrel roll as soon as it slid from the asphalt to the infield grass. The car came to a halt on all four tires, with some minor damage to the roll cage.
Preece being able to climb out with help was a testament to NASCAR’s Next Gen car, which is considered the safest iteration in its 75-year history.
The car was roundly criticized following its debut in 2022 because rear-impact collisions wreaked havoc on drivers. Kurt Busch of 23XI Racing suffered a life-changing concussion during a qualifying crash at Pocono Raceway last summer, and Hendrick Motorsports driver Alex Bowman missed five races because of a concussion.
Multiple other drivers complained about the violence felt during what they considered routine hits and wondered if they too had suffered head trauma.
NASCAR spent much of last year and the offseason testing and tweaking its car to try to limit the G-forces delivered to drivers. The changes were welcomed, resulting in considerably fewer missed races and no reported concussions in 2023.
Busch, meanwhile, has yet to return to racing and formally retired from the Cup Series Saturday at Daytona. The 45-year-old Busch held back tears as he called it quits, saying his “body is just having a battle with Father Time.”
Busch added that he’s dealt with arthritis and gout while trying to shake lingering effects of a brain injury that rocked stock car racing a year ago.
Preece’s accident harkened memories of Ryan Newman’s harrowing wreck in the 2020 Daytona 500. Newman was able to walk out of the hospital days later, another testament to NASCAR safety improvements made since Dale Earnhardt’s death on the final lap of the 2001 Daytona 500.
___
AP auto racing: https://apnews.com/hub/auto-racing
veryGood! (9517)
Related
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- 'You can judge me all you want': California mom's refusal to return shopping cart goes viral
- Kansas City Chiefs cancel practice after backup defensive lineman BJ Thompson has medical emergency
- YouTuber charged for having a helicopter blast a Lamborghini with fireworks, authorities say
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Holocaust survivor finds healing through needle and thread
- Dolly Parton announces new Broadway musical 'Hello, I'm Dolly,' hitting the stage in 2026
- Halsey reveals private health battle in The End, first song off new album
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to address Congress on July 24
Ranking
- Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
- Dangerous heat wave in the West is already breaking records and the temperatures could get worse
- Wingstop employee accused of killing manager, shooting another worker after argument
- New Hunger Games book announced for 2025 — 4 years after last release
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Massachusetts House approves sweeping housing bill
- In aftermath of hit on Caitlin Clark, ill-informed WNBA fans creating real danger to players
- Video shows Seattle police beat man with batons at bus stop, city investigating
Recommendation
A White House order claims to end 'censorship.' What does that mean?
Donald Trump joined TikTok with a UFC appearance video. He tried to ban the app as POTUS
'He’s so DAMN GOOD!!!': What LeBron James has said about Dan Hurley in the past
I Use This Wireless, Handheld Vacuum for Everything & It Cleaned My Car in a Snap
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
T.J. Maxx's parent company wants to curb shoplifting with a police tactic: Body cameras
What to look for the in the Labor Department's May jobs report
'Piece by Piece' trailer tells Pharrell Williams' story in LEGO form: 'A new type of film'