Current:Home > NewsSafeX Pro:NHL No. 1 draft pick Macklin Celebrini signs contract with San Jose Sharks -WealthRoots Academy
SafeX Pro:NHL No. 1 draft pick Macklin Celebrini signs contract with San Jose Sharks
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-07 03:30:08
No. 1 overall draft pick Macklin Celebrini is SafeX Promaking the immediate jump to the NHL.
Last year's Hobey Baker Award winner signed a three-year, entry-level contract ($975,000 a year, plus performance bonuses) with the San Jose Sharks on Saturday, ending his college career at Boston University after one season. He had 64 points in 38 games last season as the youngest player in college hockey.
“Macklin is not only a special player on the ice, but he is a poised, confident and intelligent young man off of it,” Sharks general manager Mike Grier said. “His combination of skills and hockey sense is rare, and we are extremely confident that he is ready to make the transition to being a full time NHL player."
Red Line Report, an independent scouting service, said Celebrini can be a top six forward in his first season.
"He has superb hands and timing and is a highly imaginative playmaker who gets pucks to his linemates with one-touch passes," said Kyle Woodlief, Red Line's publisher and chief scout. "He’s a terrific goal scorer with a lightning-fast catch and release - the puck explodes off his stick. His ability to anticipate developing plays puts him a step ahead of everyone else on the ice."
All things Sharks: Latest San Jose Sharks news, schedule, roster, stats, injury updates and more.
The USA TODAY app gets you to the heart of the news — fast.Download for award-winning coverage, crosswords, audio storytelling, the eNewspaper and more.
Celebrini made the decision after taking part in the Sharks' prospect camp.
He has local ties because his father, Rick, is vice president of health and performance for the nearby Golden State Warriors of the NBA. Macklin had played for the San Jose Jr. Sharks in 2019-20, scoring 94 points in 54 games.
He is arriving at the same time as last year's top Sharks pick, No. 4 overall Will Smith, who signed this summer after playing a season at Boston College.
The Sharks will build around those two and 21-year-old William Eklund.
After two seasons of shedding veterans and dropping to last place, the Sharks added Tyler Toffoli, Alex Wennberg, Ty Dellandrea and others this offseason to hasten their rebuild.
Celebrini will be part of a talented NHL rookie class that includes Smith, Philadelphia Flyers forward Matvei Michkov and Anaheim Ducks forward Cutter Gauthier.
Blackhawks sign No. 2 overall pick Artyom Levshunov
The Chicago Blackhawks signed defenseman Artyom Levshunov to an entry-level contract. He played last season at Michigan State.
"Signing Artyom gives us the opportunity to continue his development in house and take the next step into professional hockey,” said general manager Kyle Davidson. “He’s a strong two-way defenseman that has all the tools to be a high-end player in the NHL and we’re excited to continue his growth at the pro level."
veryGood! (8)
Related
- Don't let hackers fool you with a 'scam
- No live lion, no problem: Detroit sells out season tickets at Ford Field for first time
- Looking for the perfect vacation book? Try 'Same Time Next Summer' and other charming reads
- Loved 'Oppenheimer?' This film tells the shocking true story of a Soviet spy at Los Alamos
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- On 3rd anniversary, Beirut port blast probe blocked by intrigue and even the death toll is disputed
- House panel releases interview transcript of Devon Archer, Hunter Biden's former business partner, testifying on Joe Biden calls
- Fired New Mexico State basketball coach says he was made the scapegoat for toxic culture
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Suspect in Idaho student stabbings says he was out for a solo drive around the time of the slayings
Ranking
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Deadly blast destroys New Jersey home: 2 dead, 2 missing and 2 juveniles hospitalized
- Lawyer for Bryan Kohberger says he was driving alone night of murders
- Most populous Arizona counties closely watch heat-associated deaths after hottest month
- Charges tied to China weigh on GM in Q4, but profit and revenue top expectations
- Stop What You’re Doing: It’s the Last Weekend to Shop These Nordstrom Anniversary Sale Deals
- Why we love Wild Geese Bookshop, named after a Mary Oliver poem, in Franklin, Indiana
- In Niger, US seeks to hang on to its last, best counterterrorist outpost in West Africa
Recommendation
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
Tickets for Lionel Messi's first road MLS match reaching $20,000 on resale market
The life and death spirals of social networks
Trump's day in court, an unusual proceeding before an unusual audience
'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
Cardi B will not be charged in Las Vegas microphone-throwing incident, police say
Delaware county agrees to pay more than $1 million to settle lawsuit over fatal police shooting
Congressional delegation to tour blood-stained halls where Parkland school massacre happened