Current:Home > StocksShip targeted in suspected Yemen Houthi rebel drone attack in southern Red Sea as tensions high -WealthRoots Academy
Ship targeted in suspected Yemen Houthi rebel drone attack in southern Red Sea as tensions high
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 18:30:34
TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) — A ship traveling through the southern Red Sea was attacked by a suspected Yemen Houthi rebel drone early on Tuesday, authorities said, the latest assault in their campaign targeting vessels over Israel’s war on Hamas in the Gaza Strip.
The attack happened west of the Yemeni port of Hodeida, and the projectile caused “slight damage” to the vessel’s windows on the bridge, the British military’s United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations said. A small vessel had been nearby the ship before the attack, it added.
The private security firm Ambrey identified the vessel as a Barbados-flagged, United Kingdom-owned cargo ship. No one was hurt onboard the vessel, which suffered “minor damage,” the firm said.
Later, a military spokesman of the Iranian-backed Houthi rebels, Brig. Gen. Yahya Saree, claimed in a statement that the rebel forces attacked two separate vessels, one American and one British, in the Red Sea. He provided no evidence to support the claim.
One of the ships the Houthis claimed attacking, the Morning Tide, matched details provided by Ambrey. Tracking data showed it to be in the Red Sea near the reported attack.
The Morning Tide’s owner, British firm Furadino Shipping, told The Associated Press no one was hurt in the attack and the ship was continuing onward to Singapore.
Since November, the rebels have repeatedly targeted ships in the Red Sea over Israel’s offensive in Gaza against Hamas. But they have frequently targeted vessels with tenuous or no clear links to Israel, imperiling shipping in a key route for trade among Asia, the Mideast and Europe.
In recent weeks, the United States and the United Kingdom, backed by other allies, have launched airstrikes targeting Houthi missile arsenals and launch sites for its attacks.
The U.S. and Britain struck 36 Houthi targets in Yemen on Saturday. An air assault Friday in Iraq and Syria targeted other Iranian-backed militias and the Iranian Revolutionary Guard in retaliation for a drone strike that killed three U.S. troops in Jordan.
The U.S. military’s Central Command separately acknowledged an attack Monday on the Houthis, in which they attacked what they described as two Houthi drone boats loaded with explosives.
American forces “determined they presented an imminent threat to U.S. Navy ships and merchant vessels in the region,” the military said. “These actions will protect freedom of navigation and make international waters safer and more secure for U.S. Navy vessels and merchant vessels.”
___
Associated Press writer Lolita C. Baldor in Washington contributed to this report.
veryGood! (17994)
Related
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Video shows North Carolina officer repeatedly striking a pinned woman during her arrest
- Biden aims for improved military relations with China when he meets with Xi
- Courteney Cox honors Matthew Perry with tribute to Monica and Chandler's 'Friends' love story
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Donald Trump’s lawyers focus on outside accountants who prepared his financial statements
- Tallulah Willis Says Dad Bruce Willis Is Her Whole Damn Heart in Moving Message
- Former CEO at center of fake Basquiats scandal countersues museum, claiming he is being scapegoated
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- 'Are we alone?': $200 million gift from late tech mogul to fund search for extraterrestrial life
Ranking
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Japanese actor-director Kitano says his new film explores homosexual relations in the samurai world
- Bangladesh sets Jan. 7 date for elections that the opposition has vowed to boycott
- Donna Kelce Reveals How Son Travis Kelce Blocks Out the Noise
- Working Well: When holidays present rude customers, taking breaks and the high road preserve peace
- South Carolina education board deciding whether to limit books and other ‘age appropriate’ materials
- Lebanon releases man suspected of killing Irish UN peacekeeper on bail
- BBC says 2 more people have come forward to complain about Russell Brand’s behavior
Recommendation
Federal hiring is about to get the Trump treatment
1 woman in critical condition a day after knife attack at Louisiana Tech University
Mali’s leader says military has seized control of a rebel stronghold in the country’s north
How Lisa Rinna's New Era Is All About Taking Risks and Embracing Change
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Shop the Best Bags from Loungefly’s Holiday Collection That Feature Your Favorite Character
How Shaun White is Emulating Yes Man in His Retirement
Donald Trump's Truth Social has lost $23 million this year. Its accountants warn it may not survive.