Current:Home > reviewsJudge denies 11th-hour request by Trump to delay start of his "hush money" criminal trial -WealthRoots Academy
Judge denies 11th-hour request by Trump to delay start of his "hush money" criminal trial
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 23:21:39
An appellate judge Monday denied an 11th hour request by former President Donald Trump seeking to delay the start of the trial in his New York criminal case.
Trump has made multiple attempts to push back the trial, this time by suing the judge just one week before jury selection is scheduled to begin.
In a pair of sealed filings Monday, Trump asked an appellate court for a change of venue in the case and for a stay of a gag order that prevents Trump from commenting publicly on, among others, the judge's daughter, who works for a Democrat-aligned consulting firm, according to a source familiar with the filings.
Associate Justice Lizbeth Gonzalez did not weigh in on either the change of venue or gag efforts in her brief Monday evening ruling denying a stay of the upcoming trial.
The documents are not public, but in an online court database, they appear under the headers "change of venue" and "stay." Documents for an appeal related to a criminal proceeding are initially sealed while they're reviewed for sensitive information.
The trial has been delayed at the 11th hour once before, from March 25 to April 15, after Trump's lawyers complained that evidence related to the case was turned over late after they subpoenaed the federal Department of Justice for documents related to the case. Trump's lawyers blamed Manhattan District Attorney Alvin Bragg for the issue, but Judge Juan Merchan concluded Bragg's office wasn't at fault.
At a hearing on March 25, he denied Trump's request to further delay the trial.
Trump's lawyers have previously argued that he can't get a fair trial in Manhattan, citing a survey they commissioned of 2,000 New Yorkers, which they said showed Trump's favorability is far higher among residents outside New York City.
Trump has also raged against the gag order in the case, which stymied a near daily barrage of social media posts claiming Merchan was biased due to his daughter's work. He's twice sought Merchan's recusal from the case, an effort that was first rejected in 2023, when Merchan cited a state ethics panel review that concluded he was not ethically compromised.
Graham KatesGraham Kates is an investigative reporter covering criminal justice, privacy issues and information security for CBS News Digital. Contact Graham at [email protected] or [email protected]
veryGood! (5313)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- The overlooked power of Latino consumers
- Elon Musk says he will resign as Twitter CEO once he finds a replacement
- Banks’ Vows to Restrict Loans for Arctic Oil and Gas Development May Be Largely Symbolic
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
- Florida man's double life is exposed in the hospital when his wife meets his fiancée
- Eric Adams Said Next to Nothing About Climate Change During New York’s Recent Mayoral Primary
- You People Don't Want to Miss New Parents Jonah Hill and Olivia Millar's Sweet PDA Moment
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- Tree Deaths in Urban Settings Are Linked to Leaks from Natural Gas Pipelines Below Streets
Ranking
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Coal Is On Its Way Out in Indiana. But What Replaces It and Who Will Own It?
- Could you be eligible for a Fortnite refund?
- Affirmative action in college admissions and why military academies were exempted by the Supreme Court
- 'Most Whopper
- Elon Musk is using the Twitter Files to discredit foes and push conspiracy theories
- Thousands of children's bikes recalled over handlebar issue
- How an 11-year-old Iowa superfan got to meet her pop idol, Michael McDonald
Recommendation
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
Southwest cancels 5,400 flights in less than 48 hours in a 'full-blown meltdown'
Soccer legend Megan Rapinoe announces she will retire after 2023 season
The blizzard is just one reason behind the operational meltdown at Southwest Airlines
Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
Shop the Best Last-Minute Father's Day Gift Ideas From Amazon
Iowa teen gets life in prison for killing Spanish teacher over bad grade
Biden’s Climate Plan Embraces Green New Deal, Goes Beyond Obama-Era Ambition