Current:Home > MarketsFrench serial killer's widow, Monique Olivier, convicted for her part in murders -WealthRoots Academy
French serial killer's widow, Monique Olivier, convicted for her part in murders
EchoSense Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 23:32:23
Monique Olivier, the widow of a French serial killer known as the "Ogre of the Ardennes," was found guilty Tuesday for her part in the rape and murder of two young women and the disappearance of a 9-year-old girl, the BBC reported.
Earlier this month, Olivier admitted she was was "bait" in the 1990 rape and murder of British student Joanna Parrish by Olivier's former husband. She was also convicted in connection with the killing of 18-year-old Marie-Angele Domece in 1988 and the disappearance of 9-year-old Estelle Mouzin in 2003.
The 75-year-old woman, who's already serving a life sentence issued in 2008, is now facing a second life sentence, with a minimum term of 20 years, according to the BBC. She'd previously been convicted for her role in four murders and a rape committed by her husband.
Olivier was married to Michel Fourniret, who was charged with abduction, rape and murder in the cases but died in 2021, at 79, before he could be brought to trial.
Before his death, Fourniret said of Domece and Parrish in 2018: "I am the only one responsible for their fates... If those people had not crossed my path, they would still be alive."
Olivier, when confronted during trial with images of Parrish's swollen face after her body was pulled from the river Yonne, said: "It's because of me she's gone, it's unforgivable."
She described herself as a dog during cross-examination.
"I was never anything but the dog that must obey" its master," Olivier said.
She asked for forgiveness before the jury began its deliberations, according to the BBC.
"I regret everything I did and I ask for forgiveness from the families of the victims, while knowing that it is unforgivable," she said.
For 16 years, the couple worked together to abduct and murder at least eight girls and young women, the BBC reported. They were finally stopped in 2003, when a 13-year-old girl Fourniret was trying to kidnap managed to escape, leading to his and Olivier's arrest.
The BBC reported that Fourniret's known victims —beyond Parrish, Domece and Mouzin— were Isabelle Laville, Fabienne Leroy, Jeanne-Marie Desramault, Elisabeth Brichet, Natacha Danais, Celine Saison, Mananya Thumphong and Farida Hammiche. All of Fourniret's victims —most of whom were raped— were shot, strangled or stabbed to death, the BBC reported. Most were killed in the Ardennes region of northern France and in Belgium.
Both Fourniret and Olivier were extradited to France for trial; six of the victims were French citizens.
veryGood! (8576)
Related
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Powerball jackpot hits $600 million. Could just one common number help you win 3/16/24?
- With Haiti in the grips of gang violence, 'extremely generous' US diaspora lends a hand
- Cat falls into vat of toxic chemicals and runs away, prompting warning in Japanese city
- Appeals court scraps Nasdaq boardroom diversity rules in latest DEI setback
- Small businesses are cutting jobs. It's a warning sign for the US economy.
- Woman charged with buying guns used in Minnesota standoff that killed 3 first responders
- Kamala Harris visits Minnesota clinic that performs abortions: We are facing a very serious health crisis
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- *NSYNC Reunites for Surprise Performance at Los Angeles Concert
Ranking
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Mysterious 10-foot-tall monolith that looks like some sort of a UFO pops up on Welsh hill
- Can you retire for less than $1M? Not in these states: Priciest states to retire
- Lionel Messi wears new Argentina Copa America 2024 jersey kit: Check out the new threads
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Cockfighting opponents in Oklahoma worry support is growing for weakening the state's ban on the bloody sport
- Wriggling gold: Fishermen who catch baby eels for $2,000 a pound hope for many years of fishing
- UFC Hall of Famer Mark Coleman from hospital bed: ‘I’m the happiest man in the world’
Recommendation
Small twin
These Crazy-Good Walmart Flash Deals Are Better Than Any Black Friday Sale, But They End Tomorrow
Kali Uchis Gives Birth, Welcomes First Baby With Don Toliver
Give Your Space a Queer Eye Makeover With 72% Off Bobby Berk Home Decor
Elon Musk's skyrocketing net worth: He's the first person with over $400 billion
New-look Los Angeles Dodgers depart for world tour with MVPs and superstars in tow
New Mexico day care workers’ convictions reversed in 2017 death of toddler inside hot car
Cockfighting opponents in Oklahoma worry support is growing for weakening the state's ban on the bloody sport