Current:Home > FinanceFrench government says 9 people detained after violent attack on Lyon soccer team buses -WealthRoots Academy
French government says 9 people detained after violent attack on Lyon soccer team buses
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 19:37:07
PARIS (AP) — French police have detained nine people and are searching for other suspects after a violent attack on buses carrying the Lyon soccer team and fans left coach Fabio Grosso with a head injury and forced the postponement of its game at Marseille, the interior minister said Monday.
Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said on BFM television that five police officers were also injured in the attack Sunday night, which drew nationwide attention amid concerns about soccer violence.
“Shame and Disgust,” was the headline on l’Equipe newspaper’s front page, with a picture of Grosso’s bloodied face.
However, it’s unlikely the attack will lead to disciplinary sanctions against the nine-time French champions.
Since it took place outside the Velodrome stadium, responsibility lies with public authorities and not with the club. The case has been taken over by a French league committee in charge of scheduling competitions, and not by the discipline commission.
The team bus was hit on the way to the Stade Velodrome, shattering some windows. Grosso was injured by falling shards of glass and needed medical treatment with his face bleeding heavily. Lyon assistant coach Raffaele Longo was also injured. Buses carrying Lyon fans were also attacked.
Grosso suffered a deep cut above his left eye that required stitches and had a large bandage wrapped around his head.
The attack was been widely commented in media outside France and comes at a very bad time for the French league amid negotiations for the sale of its TV rights abroad. Earlier this month, the auction for the domestic broadcast rights for the 2024-2029 period was cancelled after the league failed to attract bids meeting the minimum price set.
FIFA president Gianni Infantino said on Instagram that “there is absolutely no place for violence in soccer, on or off the pitch” and called on “the competent authorities to ensure that the appropriate measures are taken.”
“Without exception, in soccer, all players, coaches and fans must be safe to enjoy our sport,” Infantino said. He added a picture of Grosso with a bandage on his face, with the message ”Forza Fabio.”
Sports Minister Amelia Oudea-Castera called for a ‘’global response’’ and said the French league, the teams and fan groups should all take responsibility. Speaking Monday on France-2 television, she called for tougher restrictions on troublemakers.
She and Darmanin defended police protection for the Lyon team even though the measures weren’t enough to prevent the attack.
Marseille president Pablo Longoria said the attack was unacceptable and the club wished Grosso a speedy recovery.
“Because of a handful of thoughtless people, tonight’s party was spoiled and 65,000 fans were deprived of attending a soccer match,” the club said.
The atmosphere has long been tense between the teams, notably since fans from Marseille and Lyon fought in a violent brawl 10 years ago that left 17 injured.
Both clubs have been under pressure lately. Marseille is still showing poor form with one win and three losses in its last four league games, and Lyon is the only team still winless in the league.
___
AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer
veryGood! (49897)
Related
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- Horror as Israeli authorities show footage of Hamas atrocities: Reporter's Notebook
- Violent crime down, carjackings up, according to FBI crime statistics
- A mountain lion in Pennsylvania? Residents asked to keep eye out after large feline photographed
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Medicare Advantage keeps growing. Tiny, rural hospitals say that's a huge problem
- Los Angeles hit with verdict topping $13 million in death of man restrained by police officers
- After Goon Squad torture of 2 Black men, Mississippi sheriff trying to escape liability
- The company planning a successor to Concorde makes its first supersonic test
- Rolls-Royce is cutting up to 2,500 jobs in an overhaul of the UK jet engine maker
Ranking
- Taylor Swift makes surprise visit to Kansas City children’s hospital
- Oasis frontman Liam Gallagher announces 'Definitely Maybe' album tour
- Ex-Mississippi police officer pleads guilty in COVID-19 aid scheme, US Attorney says
- Khloe Kardashian's Son Tatum Hits Udderly Adorable Milestone at Halloween Party
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Waiting for news, families of Israeli hostages in Gaza tell stories of their loved ones
- Suzanne Somers' Husband Alan Hamel Details Final Moments Before Her Death
- Fijian leader hopes Australian submarines powered by US nuclear technology will enhance peace
Recommendation
'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
How gas utilities used tobacco tactics to avoid gas stove regulations
Medical expert testifies restraint actions of Tacoma police killed Washington man
Retail sales rise solid 0.7% in September, reflecting US shoppers’ resilience despite higher prices
Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
Phillies' Bryce Harper would play in 2028 L.A. Olympics if MLB players approved
Aaron Rodgers made suggestions to Jets coaches during victory over Eagles, per report
Israel-Hamas war means one less overseas option for WNBA players with Russia already out