Current:Home > MarketsGoogle sued for negligence after man drove off collapsed bridge while following map directions -WealthRoots Academy
Google sued for negligence after man drove off collapsed bridge while following map directions
PredictIQ Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 23:28:41
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) — The family of a North Carolina man who died after driving his car off a collapsed bridge while following Google Maps directions is suing the technology giant for negligence, claiming it had been informed of the collapse but failed to update its navigation system.
Philip Paxson, a medical device salesman and father of two, drowned Sept. 30, 2022, after his Jeep Gladiator plunged into Snow Creek in Hickory, according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday in Wake County Superior Court. Paxson was driving home from his daughter’s ninth birthday party through an unfamiliar neighborhood when Google Maps allegedly directed him to cross a bridge that had collapsed nine years prior and was never repaired.
“Our girls ask how and why their daddy died, and I’m at a loss for words they can understand because, as an adult, I still can’t understand how those responsible for the GPS directions and the bridge could have acted with so little regard for human life,” his wife, Alicia Paxson, said in a news release.
State troopers who found Paxton’s body in his overturned and partially submerged truck had said there were no barriers or warning signs along the washed-out roadway. He had driven off an unguarded edge and crashed about 20 feet below, according to the lawsuit.
The North Carolina State Patrol had said the bridge was not maintained by local or state officials, and the original developer’s company had dissolved. The lawsuit names several private property management companies that it claims are responsible for the bridge and the adjoining land.
Multiple people had notified Google Maps about the collapse in the years leading up to Paxson’s death and had urged the company to update its route information, according to the lawsuit.
The Tuesday court filing includes email records from another Hickory resident who had used the map’s “suggest and edit” feature in September 2020 to alert the company that it was directing drivers over the collapsed bridge. A November 2020 email confirmation from Google confirms the company received her report and was reviewing the suggested change, but the lawsuit claims Google took no further actions.
A spokesperson for Google, which is headquartered in California but maintains a registered office in Raleigh, did not immediately provide comment on the lawsuit.
___
Hannah Schoenbaum is a corps member for the Associated Press/Report for America Statehouse News Initiative. Report for America is a nonprofit national service program that places journalists in local newsrooms to report on undercovered issues.
veryGood! (5)
Related
- Federal Spending Freeze Could Have Widespread Impact on Environment, Emergency Management
- Ejected pilot of F-35 that went missing told 911 dispatcher he didn't know where fighter jet was
- 'At least I can collect my thoughts': Florida man stranded 12 miles out at sea recounts rescue
- What does Rupert Murdoch's exit mean for Fox News? Not much. Why poison will keep flowing
- Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
- North Carolina legislature cracks down on pornography sites with new age verification requirements
- Video of Elijah McClain’s stop by police shown as officers on trial in Black man’s death
- UAW to GM: Show me a Big 3 auto executive who'd work for our union pay
- Average rate on 30
- A flamethrower and comments about book burning ignite a political firestorm in Missouri
Ranking
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- YouTube CEO defends decision to demonetize Russell Brand's channel amid sexual assault allegations
- India’s Parliament passes law that will reserve 33% of legislature seats for women from 2029
- Joe Biden to join picket line with striking auto workers in Michigan
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- At least 20 students abducted in a new attack by gunmen targeting schools in northern Nigeria
- Judge overseeing case to remove Trump from ballot agrees to order banning threats and intimidation
- Who does a government shutdown affect most? Here's what happens to the agencies Americans rely on.
Recommendation
Alex Murdaugh’s murder appeal cites biased clerk and prejudicial evidence
The UAW strike is growing. What you need to know as more auto workers join the union’s walkouts
State Dept IT contractor charged with espionage, allegedly sent classified information to Ethiopia
Anheuser-Busch says it has stopped cutting the tails of its Budweiser Clydesdale horses
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
Rami Malek and Emma Corrin Confirm Their Romance With a Kiss
Gun violence is the ultimate ‘superstorm,’ President Biden says as he announces new federal effort
One TV watcher will be paid $2,500 to decide which Netflix series is most binge-worthy. How to apply.