Current:Home > ScamsMeghan Markle and Prince Harry's Archewell Foundation Declared a "Delinquent" Charity -WealthRoots Academy
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's Archewell Foundation Declared a "Delinquent" Charity
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-06 18:30:36
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry's Archewell Foundation has been ordered to stop raising or spending money by the state officials amid a delinquency notice.
The charity, which the couple founded in 2020, was recently declared delinquent by California's Registry of Charities and Fundraisers for "failing to submit required annual report(s) and/or renewal fees," according to documents obtained by E! News May 13.
"An organization that is listed as delinquent is not in good standing," a notice issued by California Attorney General Rob Bonta to Archewell Foundation read, "and is prohibited from engaging in conduct for which registration is required, including soliciting or disbursing charitable funds."
However, a source close to Archewell Foundation told E! News that the group had filed on time, though it appears that the check for the renewal fee was not received by the registry. A new check has been mailed, according to the insider, and the foundation believes the matter will be quickly resolved and their standing in the state registry adjusted in the coming days.
News of the delinquency notice comes one day after Meghan and Harry—who share son Archie Harrison, 5, and daughter Lilibet "Lili" Diana, 2—wrapped up their first visit to Nigeria at the invitation of the country's Chief of Defense Staff. During their three-day trip, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex hosted a mental health summit at a local school, took part in a volleyball game with military families, attended a basketball camp for children and cheered on players at a charity polo event for Nigeria Unconquered, an organization that works closely with Harry's Invictus Games.
The trip marked Meghan and Harry's first international tour since stepping back from their duties as senior royals in 2020.
"We are honored to have our first visit to Nigeria be here with all of you," Meghan told the crowd during a visit to the Lightway Academy, per People. "We believe in you, we believe in your teachers and we believe in your ability to continue to tell your stories and to just be honest with each other."
For more royals news, keep reading.
On April 26, nearly three months after sharing his cancer diagnosis, Buckingham Palace announced that Charles will return to public-facing duties.
The queen consort attended the Royal Maundy Service on March 28 in place of King Charles III, making her the first spouse of the Monarch to continue the ancient tradition.
In a March 22 video message, the Princess of Wales shared that she'd been diagnosed with cancer after undergoing abdominal surgery in January.
"It was thought that my condition was non-cancerous. The surgery was successful," she said before noting that tests after the operation found cancer had been present. "My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment."
After photo agencies pulled the picture Kensington Palace shared of Kate since having her abdominal surgery on March 10, the Princess of Wales addressed claims the photo was doctored.
"Like many amateur photographers, I do occasionally experiment with editing," she tweeted on March 11. "I wanted to express my apologies for any confusion the family photograph we shared yesterday caused. I hope everyone celebrating had a very happy Mother's Day. C."
Princess Diana's niece celebrated Mother's Day in the U.K. by sharing she and her husband Michael Lewis privately welcomed their first baby.
“It’s the joy of my life to be your mummy, little one. I love you unconditionally," she captioned her March 10 Instagram post. "Happy Mother’s Day to those who celebrate today."
After keeping up her full slate of engagements in the wake of her husband's cancer diagnosis, the palace cleared Camilla's schedule.
The Times pointed out March 2 that the 76-year-old didn't have any engagements on her calendar until March 11, when she'd be due at Westminster Abbey to observe Commonwealth Day.
The husband of Lady Gabriella Windsor and ex-boyfriend of Pippa Middleton, was found dead Feb. 25. Days later, a coroner's inquest found that he died by suicide.
While King Charles III was in the hospital for his benign prostate enlargement procedure, the royal family member was diagnosed with cancer.
"His Majesty has today commenced a schedule of regular treatments, during which time he has been advised by doctors to postpone public-facing duties," Buckingham Palace said Feb. 5. "Throughout this period, His Majesty will continue to undertake State business and official paperwork as usual.The King is grateful to his medical team for their swift intervention, which was made possible thanks to his recent hospital procedure. He remains wholly positive about his treatment and looks forward to returning to full public duty as soon as possible."
The Duchess of York's rep said in a statement on Jan. 21 that Sarah was recently diagnosed with malignant melanoma, an aggressive form of skin cancer. Several months prior, she underwent a single mastectomy to treat breast cancer.
On Jan. 14, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark made history as she officially abdicated the throne, handing the crown over to her son, now known as King Frederik the 10th.
Kensington Palace announced on Jan. 17 that Kate Middleton underwent planned abdominal surgery and was set to remain in the hospital for 10 to 14 days.
"Based on the current medical advice," the Palace said, "she is unlikely to return to public duties until after Easter."
Amid Kate's recovery, Prince William postponed a number of engagements as he supported his family, including the couple's three children, Prince George, Princess Charlotte and Prince Louis.
Shortly after Kate's hospitalization was made public, Buckingham Palace shared that Charles "has sought treatment for an enlarged prostate."
"His Majesty's condition is benign and he will attend hospital next week for a corrective procedure," the statement added. "The King’s public engagements will be postponed for a short period of recuperation."
Princess Claire and Prince Felix of Luxembourg welcomed son Balthazar Felix Karl on Jan. 7, the first royal baby of the New Year!
Watch E! News weeknights Monday through Thursday at 11 p.m., only on E!.veryGood! (8126)
Related
- 'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
- Texas woman gets 15 years for stealing nearly $109M from Army to buy mansions, cars
- Biden signs bill strengthening oversight of crisis-plagued federal Bureau of Prisons
- Commission chair says there’s no ‘single silver bullet’ to improving Georgia’s Medicaid program
- Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
- Nashville grapples with lingering neo-Nazi presence in tourist-friendly city
- Who has won most Olympic gold medals at Summer Games?
- Man arrested on arson charge after Arizona wildfire destroyed 21 homes, caused evacuations
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- CrowdStrike shares details on cause of global tech outage
Ranking
- A Mississippi company is sentenced for mislabeling cheap seafood as premium local fish
- Alabama taps state and federal agencies to address crime in Montgomery
- Transit and environmental advocates sue NY governor over decision to halt Manhattan congestion toll
- American Olympic officials' shameful behavior ignores doping truth, athletes' concerns
- As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
- Senate committee votes to investigate Steward Health Care bankruptcy and subpoena its CEO
- 2024 Olympics: Team USA’s Stars Share How They Prepare for Their Gold Medal-Worthy Performances
- Bill Belichick's absence from NFL coaching sidelines looms large – but maybe not for long
Recommendation
Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
10 to watch: USWNT star Naomi Girma represents best of America, on and off field
Bill Belichick's absence from NFL coaching sidelines looms large – but maybe not for long
Squatter gets 40 years for illegally taking over Panama City Beach condo in Florida
'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
Missouri Supreme Court halts release of man from prison after overturned conviction
An 11-year-old Virginia boy is charged with making swatting calls to Florida schools
‘Deadpool & Wolverine’ dominates at Comic-Con ahead of panel with Ryan Reynolds, Hugh Jackman