Current:Home > MyQatar’s offer to build 3 power plants to ease Lebanon’s electricity crisis is blocked -WealthRoots Academy
Qatar’s offer to build 3 power plants to ease Lebanon’s electricity crisis is blocked
Surpassing View
Date:2025-04-06 22:14:39
BEIRUT (AP) — Lebanon’s political class, fuel companies and private electricity providers blocked an offer by gas-rich Qatar to build three renewable energy power plants to ease the crisis-hit nation’s decades-old electricity crisis, Lebanese caretaker economy minister said Thursday.
Lebanon’s electricity crisis worsened after the country’s historic economic meltdown began in October 2019. Power cuts often last for much of the day, leaving many reliant on expensive private generators that work on diesel and raise pollution levels.
Although many people have installed solar power systems in their homes over the past three years, most use it only to fill in when the generator is off. Cost and space issues in urban areas have also limited solar use.
Qatar offered in 2023 to build three power plants with a capacity of 450 megawatts — or about 25% of the small nation’s needs — and since then, Doha didn’t receive a response from Lebanon, caretaker Economy Minister Amin Salam said.
Lebanon’s energy minister, Walid Fayyad, responded in a news conference held shortly afterward that Qatar only offered to build one power plant with a capacity of 100 megawatts that would be a joint venture between the private and public sectors and not a gift as “some claim.”
Salam said that after Qatar got no response from Lebanon regarding their offer, Doha offered to start with a 100-megawatt plant.
Lebanon’s political class that has been running the country since the end of 1975-90 civil war is largely blamed for the widespread corruption and mismanagement that led to the country’s worst economic crisis in its modern history. Five years after the crisis began, Lebanon’s government hasn’t implemented a staff-level agreement reached with the International Monetary Fund in 2022 and has resisted any reforms in electricity, among other sectors.
People currently get an average of four hours of electricity a day from the state company, which has cost state coffers more than $40 billion over the past three decades because of its chronic budget shortfalls.
“There is a country in darkness that we want to turn its lights on,” Salam told reporters in Beirut, saying that during his last trip to Qatar in April, officials in the gas-rich nation asked him about the offer they put forward in January 2023.
“The Qatari leadership is offering to help Lebanon, so we have to respond to that offer and give results,” Salam said. Had the political leadership been serious in easing the electricity crisis, he said, they would have called for emergency government and parliamentary sessions to approve it.
He blamed “cartels and Mafia” that include fuel companies and 7,200 private generators that are making huge profits because of the electricity crisis.
“We don’t want to breathe poison anymore. We are inhaling poison every day,” Salam said.
“Political bickering is blocking everything in the country,” Salam said referring to lack of reforms as well as unsuccessful attempts to elect a president since the term of President Michel Aoun’s term ended in October 2022.
Lebanon hasn’t built a new power plant in decades. Multiple plans for new ones have run aground on politicians’ factionalism and conflicting patronage interests. The country’s few aging, heavy-fuel oil plants long ago became unable to meet demand.
veryGood! (623)
Related
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Hi Hi!
- Jury returns mixed verdict in slaying of Detroit synagogue leader Samantha Woll
- Dominican activists protest against a new criminal code that would maintain a total abortion ban
- 'The View' co-host Whoopi Goldberg defends President Joe Biden amid his third COVID diagnosis
- Former Danish minister for Greenland discusses Trump's push to acquire island
- Alabama death row inmate Keith Edmund Gavin executed in 1998 shooting death of father of 7
- Usha Vance introduces RNC to husband JD Vance, who's still the most interesting person she's known
- Kate Hudson Addresses Past Romance With Nick Jonas
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- This week on Sunday Morning (July 21)
Ranking
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Comedian Bob Newhart, deadpan master of sitcoms and telephone monologues, dies at 94
- Glen Powell says hanging out with real storm chasers on ‘Twisters’ was ‘infectious’
- Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo makes good on vow to swim in the Seine river to show its safe for the Summer Games
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- How Olympic Gymnast Jade Carey Overcomes Frustrating Battle With Twisties
- Dive teams recover bodies of 2 men who jumped off a boat into a Connecticut lake on Monday night
- The 2025 Ram 1500 Tungsten 4x4 High Output pickup goes hard
Recommendation
North Carolina trustees approve Bill Belichick’s deal ahead of introductory news conference
Another Texas migrant aid group asks a judge to push back on investigation by Republican AG
Recount will decide if conservative US Rep. Bob Good loses primary to Trump-backed challenger
Is Mike Tyson vs. Jake Paul fight in jeopardy if Paul loses to Mike Perry?
Why we love Bear Pond Books, a ski town bookstore with a French bulldog 'Staff Pup'
Widespread technology outage disrupts flights, banks, media outlets and companies around the world
Priscilla Presley sues former associates, alleging elder abuse and financial fraud
Britney Spears slams Ozzy Osbourne, family for mocking her dance videos as 'sad'